Saturday 2 December 2023

Flakes And Flowers

Friday was definitely a cold and frosty morning. Bob dropped me and my trolley in Dereham at 9.15am and went on to the Hospice. The cheery guy in the Post Office said he had seen three overturned cars en route to work. I paid for my package [another 31:13 order!] and wished him a Happy Christmas. Down to the Christian Bookshop. I'd bought Advent Calendars for the grandchildren - which were a few cm too wide for the 'large letter' slot - so these flat, light envelopes had to go at Small Parcel Rate. That was more than the cost of the calendars.I suggested to the manager that [a] it would have been helpful to know that when I bought them and [b] next year, please could they find ones which were just a tiny bit narrower, please? The Manager said she'd been caught out at the Post Office too, and yes, this was already under consideration! I walked on to the Flow Craft Café
Nina had alreadtset out the tables, and I began to put out the Kusudama packs. It began to snow. Not everybody turned up, but the ladies who did were great fun - and one had been at school with me in 1966, when I first came to Dereham!
We had great fun reminiscing. Nina hopes for another of these workshops in the new year. We're also thinking about a sewing activity too.
Afterwards I walked up the road to Morrisons and did my shopping. I sat in the café and had not long finished my bacon roll when Bob came to collect me.
It snowed again - bigger let-it-go-flakes this time.
Top Tip for the day - one of the workshop women said her friend had some kusudama flowers on bamboo stems- standing in a bottle of diffusing oil as a room freshener. That is a really creative use for them. I may do that myself...
Sorting out all the Christmas Decorations today, I do hope it is not too cold tonight - Village Carols in the Parish Church [I will wear my motorbike thermal underwear]

26 comments:

  1. Village carols in the Parish Church sound fun. I look forward to Christmas services when the church is dark and then we all hold candles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a proper community event -with a brass band and refreshments donated by the village shops...

      Delete
  2. Your description of "bigger let-it-go flakes" made me chuckle. I remember making blue satin dresses with sparkly capes for my granddaughters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandmas with "making skills" are much appreciated!

      Delete
    2. Still waiting for snow here in Sussex! We don't get snow very often as we are protected by the Downs. ( why are hills called downs when they are ups?)

      Delete
    3. That was me... I mean Kirstenm!

      Delete
    4. Ups/Downs it's all dependent on your point of view!

      Delete
  3. Ah, glad it went well! The reed diffusers are a great idea! Mmm, I could do with a bacon sarnie on my way to London! Kxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bacon Sarnies are a real comfort food in my house

      Delete
  4. Sadly because it’s daylight here way past my grandchildren’s bedtime, they rarely see the full effect of beautiful Christmas lights! They will help me decorate my tree tomorrow and I will draw the blinds so it looks better. They have a cut tree at their house, so won’t get it in for another week or so, but they do smell of of ‘proper’ Christmas 🎄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss having family round me to help decorate the tree 🌲

      Delete
  5. Postage charges are outrageously expensive now. It makes one reconsider the item you are sending. I sent hardback books a couple of Christmas' ago, but now it would cost far too much.
    Love the flowers you make, what a good idea about putting them on the end of the sticks in a diffuser type thingy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like your December is off to a busy start!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely to have a class who enjoy what is being made. I finished my dolly peg Advent last night and am pleased with it. Very simple to make but requires a lot of glue gunning-ouchy! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  8. Postage is getting prohibitively expensive now, such a shame, I used to like posting little bits and bobs off to family and friends but now have to think twice!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yet again I'll use social media for greetings & send a gift to charity

      Delete
  9. It's always a delight to read your blog!
    Hope the weather cooperates for the carol singing this eve!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BA - I hope it is co operative too

      Delete
  10. Postage is nuts here too. For a few at Xmas I just gulp and pay it. Canada Post came up with these flat rate boxes and they are great and cheap for me as my eldest son and his wife live just south of the Arctic Circle. They are getting handmade ornaments and lots of treats as well as a ceiling LED light unit illuminating Xmas images. They have about an hour of daylight gloom where they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gift of light seems really appropriate !

      Delete
  11. Sounds like you are getting more winter than we are right now! It's too bad as Britain doesn't get enough snow to justify all the equipment we have here (I was once over in February and saw someone sweeping snow from their driveway with a broom!) We have all these huge snow ploughs on the roads, salt and sand distribution and many people have their own snowblowers.
    Our postal costs are equally ridiculous, and like you we have measured slots that the postal clerk tests flat packages through. They might just price themselves out of business one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had a really cold day, and snow here in our village - but none in the next village where our chapel is, just a few miles up the road

      Delete
    2. We have the same. They also measure every parcel, even the ones packed in their boxes. Why don't they write the measurements on it and save everyone a few minutes.

      Delete
    3. I have been seen in post offices jumping on my parcel to make it go through the slot

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!