Friday 1 December 2023

Un-Boxing Day

Kirsten's parcel arrived just as I was going out. I left it on the dining table till my return. Note the festive tablecloth. I love its retro poinsettia print. 
Inside the familiar Graze box I saw a Christmas card[I thought] a postcard, the notebook and a few other things,
In fact, the card opened into one of Kirsten's brilliant Advent Calendar booklets. I plan to put in some of the recipes I found in the Scandi cookbook last week.
Kirsten's two 'flat gifts' were intriguing. She challenged me to work out what they were*. But best of all was her stitching for the month
Utterly fabulous - half a dozen starlings perched on a wire in the morning sunrise. K has used some of her Sarah Homfray Variegated threads to stitch a beautiful sky in shades of lilac and pink through to pale blue. Isn't it exquisite?
Last week, sitting in a traffic jam, Bob pointed out some birds on the telegraph wire alongside the road. "I could stitch them" I thought. But K got there first!
The lounge is in chaos. I an preparing the figures for the outdoor nativity. Those heads on poles do look sinister! This is the third year and I am adding another figure.
Pictures will follow when completed.
* the pink 5 sided perforated item has suckers underneath. It is now in place over the plughole in my shower - it is designed to trap hairs.
* the small yellow object is a ring with built in thread cutter. Sharp, but so useful! Thanks K.

Life is very busy round here. And rather cold outside! Hope wherever you are, you are warm and well. Happy December!!

17 comments:

  1. I guessed the shower drain cover correctly but thought that the ring was an orange peeler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so bad following 3d instructions printed in 2d- I just don't understand them!! I'd like to try Kirsten's idea if I could figure it out!
    The starlings are beautiful and I love the thread choice!
    The gifts are useful! Kxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The stitching is beautiful and we have one of those haircatchers too and it was especially good when my hair was long. Looking forward to seeing the nativity in place. The Men’s Shed where my husband goes has just finished a life sized stable for a life sized nativity set which includes a camel and the donkey! It was quite an undertaking. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like the starlings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine you are many at the smallholding (hoping you are seeing clearly now post-op!!)

      Delete
  5. What clever and useful gifts! That's a wonderful parcel to receive and I know the thoughtful ones you send are just as great! Warms my heart to think of it! JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT is lovely that simple little things can bring such joy!

      Delete
  6. I love the starlings. It must always be exciting for both of you to open these packages each time! I think I've figured out how the Advent Card is made but it took me a while studying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bushlady - yes there is a great sense of anticipation, followed by amazement at the ingenuity of the flat gifts ( and then head scratching as I try and find something to post in return)

      Delete
  7. It's always f fun to see what interesting and creative tings people can find to put in wee packages! I need one of those star drain hold thingies. Wonder if they're available here? Will have to look.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they are available to you as well ⭐

      Delete
  8. Yes, those heads on poles look sinister, I am sure they will turn out great in the nativity scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoping to have everything in place by Sunday

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!