Saturday 16 December 2023

Living in CHAOS

Marla Cilley, aka FLYLady, the organising guru writes about those people who are Living in CHAOS,  where that is an acronym for "Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome" - but this year, in this house, I think it stands for Christmas Has Approached On Skates!
There are less than ten days to go
I have never been this ill-prepared for the festive season. I am struggling to work out why. I think that somewhere along the line I decided I was retired and not so busy. There was no rush...So I did not need to make lists and check things off as I did in previous years
This was clearly a mistake. I have been busy but in different ways - and also I do not have quite as much energy as I used to, so I have to accept that I cannot cram the days quite as full as I did when I was 35.
The spare bed is covered with stuff - paper flowers and equipment from last week's workshop; unsold stock from the Christmas Fair; wrapping paper leftover from the Pass the Parcels; gifts waiting to be wrapped. I think that there were so many things needing to be done in the past fortnight that I just got through each day, but never cleared-up-and-put-away properly. That will get done this afternoon.
For years I sat down every January, and recycled my old Christmas cards into new ones for the next year. 
And we sent out 100+ [about half hand delivered locally , half posted] For a few years now we have not done this. I've posted cards to elderly friends and relations, hand delivered to all my neighbours here in the close, and sent a blanket greeting on social media to everyone else - and the money saved has gone to charity. This year  it has been the Guardian Refugee Appeal
But my old box from the loft, in use for over 20 years, still had a couple of dozen handmade cards in it. Enough for this year. Top Tip if you are using an assortment of cards, begin by matching every one to its envelope before you write anything! They shuffle themselves in the box and if you are not careful you end up trimming the side of the last stable scene to fit the only envelope vaguely big enough!
I am being diligent about reusing wrapping materials I needed cardboard envelopes for some packages. I dismantled cereal packets, turned them inside out, and stuck them together again, blank side out. Kezzie was very impressed! There are folk who buy new Jiffy Bags, but I am not one of them. Kirsten is the Queen of recycled Graze Boxes [which fit through the Large Letter Slot, so cost less to post]
Although I pack things carefully at the end of the season, and all decorations go into labelled boxes into the loft, some things eventually wear out. 
My jaunty reindeer antlers can now do the splits in true Angela Rippon style. 
Sadly they cannot stand up again. This rather disappointed Rosie last weekend. I will see if they can be stitched back up - but if not, they'll be leaving with the bin men on Tuesday.
It is not all gloom and doom. The cake is made and ready to be marzipanned. I did an Iceland shop [10% OAP discount] with Bob on Tuesday morning and got quite a few bits and pieces for the forthcoming family visits. Fresh stuff will be purchased late next week.
The Nativity Scene outside is there to remind us all of the true Reason for the Season. 
I do hope your Christmas Preparations are not too fraught.







30 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I recognise all you say about leaving things! When I was working I knew I had to be very well prepared so I was, but when I retired I was very well muddled instead. After a few years it rights itself, I promise! The pandemic sorted me eventually, but I hope you have a better route than that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's helpful, and encouraging M. Thank you - happy Christmas

      Delete
  2. Apologies Angela, this has cheered me up because I'm exactly the same - lower energy and retirement syndrome, perfecting the art of thinking I've got loads of time and no deadlines!
    Hugs
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh please don't apologise! It's very reassuring to realise I'm not alone in feeling like this.

      Delete
  3. I'm so, so tired. So disorganised. Not done any Christmas shopping, I think I took on too much this December and now I'm still not well so struggling to have energy to do anything!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anon. Just stop and rest and hove yourself some space. Christmas day will happen. But it doesn't have to be perfect. Many of us struggle with saying "no" when asked to do things. Let you'd loved ones know that you're feeling under par, and their gifts will come eventually! It's your presence not your presents that's most important! ❤️👍🙏😊🎄🎁

      Delete
  4. I have a spare bed that looks like this! Yesterday I put away all the christmas crafting supplies and today the bed will be cleared! I have made dozens of gifts, raised money for charity through the christmas fair and now I have run out of energy and christmas spirit. We’ll be two for christmas lunch/dinner so if we don’t feel like eating it, we can do so another day. I’m grateful that we have enough to eat and heat so I’m going to try and restore some order to the chaos and it will calm my mind. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And is N's workshop equally disordered? We have set aside Monday and Tuesday to get all home-made gifts finished.i hope the energy & Christmas spirit return. From other comments, there are many of us feeling like this! 😊❤️🎄👍

      Delete
    2. I think it is but he likes it! C

      Delete
  5. Yep, I hear you. My problem is not being able to say no! I thought I had a clear run this weekend but having one granddaughter this afternoon while her Mummy does some shopping (my son busy with his tractor\trailer bringing in the sprouts for our Xmas tables! Out from early morning darkness til late at night). Then tomorrow been asked to mind the 3yr old in the evening while his parents celebrate a friend's birthday. I've informed them that my days of driving home late at night are numbered but I'll do it this time because I love spending time with him!I THINK I have Monday free but rest of week is filling up fast!Retirement's not all its cracked up to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the tension of wanting to be supportive to friends and family versus the need to get one's own house in order! If you babysit, is there a bed so you can sleep over and go home after breakfast? ( I'm getting too old to curl up on a couch )

      Delete
    2. Yes they offered me a bed but they have a cat and I'm allergic. It sleeps on the bed in the daytime!

      Delete
  6. I can relate to this so much. I've been over the top busy this season but with other things (speaking engagements, writing, church events). Today I have a to bake a turkey for our Christmas banquet at church tomorrow and put the finishing touches on the message as my husband asked me to preach.

    I was feeling frustrated the other day about the lack of card sending, baking, gift-wrapping, etc. and then decided to give myself some grace. I am celebrating the holiday, but in just a more disorganized format than normal. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you are doing brilliantly helping others to celebrate - praying that the two of you have some Sabbath Shalom after the 25th

      Delete
  7. Fortunately I managed to get myself and hubby organised and I think we are ahead of the jobs to be done, but don't open the end bedroom door!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may make a notice saying "Grandma's workroom. Caution Trip Hazards"

      Delete
  8. Me, too. I've gotten all the tasks that must be mailed done, bar one package and it will be tardy. Sigh. The empty boxes that held decorations will go to storage today - before tomorrow's rain and I'll finish the tree whenever. Baking this week and one last gift to buy and maybe let Amazon get it to her.

    All while enjoying my Mannheim Steamroller Christmas CDs. Their joy and harmonies make even the most tired spirit soar. My favorite (this year) is "A Fresh Aire Christmas" It's one of their old CDs as I've had it nearly 30 years and it's not worn out yet!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas music is a good accompaniment to chores

      Delete
  9. One of our local stores which sells greetings cards used to ( maybe still does) sell orphan envelopes for 3c each. Now if I need an odd envelope I just make one from a black piece of typing paper. I have found I have room to put two cards, or a card and some other article in the same envelope for no extra stamp. I keep a little postal weighing gadget just to check.
    You will be fine for Christmas , your heart and spirit are totally in the right place. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I think you're right - positive mental attitude and cheerful disposition ho ho ho

      Delete
    3. Good grief, I just checked this and read black piece of paper where it should have been a white piece of typing paper! JanF

      Delete
    4. I thought you'd made a typo for BLANK piece of paper. A black envelope with a white address label might look very stylish!

      Delete
  10. Someone squeezed the time and I can only find 3 weeks of Advent - am I going nuts or is the world spinning faster? I am working on the system, "done is good enough" which means that I do the best I can, but not aiming for perfection. Two spare bedrooms in total chaos, and yesterday I somehow didn't make cards, wrap presents or do ironing! I've managed to be more relaxed this time, determined not to get into my usual complete panic! Of course I still have a week in which to implode, but I will refuse to do so. The tree may stay waiting in the snowbank for a day or two longer, before coming indoors! Anyway, I'm so pleased that this year I got all the overseas and out of town cards mailed, unlike last year.
    Maranatha, come Lord Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I'm suffering from 'retired, so no need to rush to get things done' syndrome too!
    A few things are sorted, cards for posting went off yesterday, local ones will be hand delivered one day next week, the cake's done, almost all presents are wrapped, tree and outside lights are all done.
    But……….
    Despite getting things sorted, I haven't been feeling remotely festive, but today we (us two grandparents, son and daughter in law, and seven year old grandson) went to the Panto at the Everyman Theatre in Liverpool, where we laughed, sang, danced, cheered, booed, got pretty wet when the cast got the water shooters out, ate sweeties and had an all round great time, so NOW I'm in a celebratory mood!!! X

    ReplyDelete
  12. A good panto often helps lift spirits (oh no it doesn't...!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you can still see the top of the quilt, then, the bed is not too full of stuff! LOL. We do think that there's plenty of time to prepare for an event and then, suddenly, the event is upon us and we are not as prepared as we'd like to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall remember that first sentence - and ensure there is always a tiny piece of quilt on show,

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!