Tuesday 5 December 2023

Better Than Chocolate!

The grandchildren are enjoying their Advent Calendars - both families have a "Jesus" one and a "Chocolate" one. George insists on opening Grandma's Jesus Calendar picture first.

But I too have a splendid Advent surprise each day - it was my Christmas gift last year from Liz. She wisely checked with me in late October that I knew where it was.

It is a Crafter's Advent Calendar from Corinne Lapierre's company up in Leeds. The box contains an instruction book, felt, and threads [the needle packet was sealed, but empty - but I have needles]
The largest piece of felt is the blue background, and every day you cut out shapes from the coloured felts, and stitch on another piece of the picture.
There is an elastic band round the book so you do not peek at what lies ahead. The book says "about 30-60 minutes stitching per day". I'd thought I would be at the 30 mins end of the scale, being relatively practised at stitching. Actually 3 out of the 4 days to date have taken 50+ minutes.
But it is such fun. Each day there are templates to cut out [I'm tracing mine and keeping the book intact.] with clear instructions about which of the 10 sheets of felt to use. So far I have needed whip stitch, running stitch and cross stitch. Nothing too complex.
Day One - two white hills [easy start!]
Day Two - three pine trees
Day Three - a Yule Log
Day Four - three little cottages.
There are specific measurements for where to put things ['top of hill 7cm down the side', 'Pink cottage up against the right hand edge' etc] so that everything will eventually fit in. And instructions about which stitch and shade of thread to use
I am absolutely loving this project. It requires concentration and I can chill out with it.  Liz you are a genius, thankyou.
I am not looking at the CL website, in case she has posted a picture of the finished article.
I will post more photos as the winter scene builds up...



29 comments:

  1. That looks great! I will try and remember to buy one next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will require a time commitment! But it is a joy to do

      Delete
  2. I’ve used her mini kits before and re-used the patterns, some quite fiddly. The Advent Calendar is out of my budget but a wonderful gift, good luck, Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra, as I say, I'm avoiding her website till after Christmas! Day 4s little cottages had TINY windows, very fiddly. With ten squares of good quality felt, one large background sheet, and a lot of threads, I imagine this kit was expensive. Liz is generous - she knew I'd love it, but would never treat myself to it!

      Delete
  3. That is really special! I've added it to my 'Christmas wish list'. I made the little sewing kit a couple of years ago and use it all the time for cross stitch sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful idea!!!
    We have 3 Advent calendars...which I will post about so not telling!!! Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three calendars? - but if you and he open the first two, what happens about the third?

      Delete
    2. Only 2 are opening ones!

      Delete
  5. How very fabulous. Looking forward to seeing the finished pic. Such a great present.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous gift for a crafter such as yourself. It's perfect when a gift is so thought about, whether it's expensive or cheap, or even hand made. Love FD xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it IS. Both my girls are generous and great at choosing gifts

      Delete
  7. Wow, lucky you! I love her work. Looking forward to seeing the finished article.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a fantastic idea! It's beautiful so far.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE your advent gift-what a thoughtful gift. I must look up the website and have a look. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful idea to have a crafting advent calender and best that Liz found it for you. Be sure to add a little something extra to your growing winter scene so it's a tad different from everyoneone else's.
    I think Imagination and creativity helps the world go around!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may do that at the end [perhaps stitch my house number on one of the cottages?]

      Delete
  11. What a perfect gift for an accomplished seamstress!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like the perfect gift for you. Looking forward to seeing the finished picture.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun Advent calendar!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely gift, just up your street. I love CL makes. Looking forward to seeing stages of this project.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!