Friday 22 December 2023

A Stitch [Not Quite] In Time

You remember the lovely Advent Stitching Project Liz gave me? Well her3e we are on December 22nd, and I am 3 days behind schedule. Last Thursday,  I was eight days behind. I got a bit upset, and Bob said, wisely, it was more important to stitch when I could, and enjoy it, rather than stress, and rush to complete by Christmas. So that is what I have done. I had a big catch up session last Friday, and tdone some each day since. Here are some pictures of my progress thus far
At the top, hills and trees and cottages
Further down, lanterns are strung across between the trees, and there are a number of animals round the edges.
Bottom left, a bright owl on a branch, a squirrel playing a cello, and a brown bear carrying a lantern. And a cheerful looking deer.

Bottom right, a rabbit playing a yellow drum, two little dickey-birds in a nest, a stripy cat watching the scene, perched on a log, and a badger dozing, with her back against the trunk of another tree,
Because you never know what is coming next, it is essential you stitch things in exactly the right place.
Unfortunately the diagram for the large central tree, with tinsel chains, was printed in reverse - so I put it on the right of centre not the left. It took an hour to unpick and restitch! [My mistake for not reading carefully - in the text, it did specify left hand side]
The metallic thread is really hard toi stitch with, it is springy and difficult to sew neatly. The lanterns should have had metal hanging loops - but I cheated and used white thread instead.
I have also realised it is easier to do the decorative stitching on the felt pieces before you assemble the animals, rather than sewing on after applying them to the background.
The stitch patterns [chain, feather, blanket etc] are clearly illustrated on the back of the book - and I have been very good and not looked ahead. I am guessing the final few creatures will go in that blank space below the centre. Doesn't my magnetic needle catcher look good up there? a big star beside the moon. [Thanks Kirsten] I am especially pleased with the bark on the log and the bear's tummy.
In other crafting news, I am busy with a knitted Christmas gift - it is going to be a midnight oil job I think. Bob shared this cartoon [I really hate picking up stitches round necklines!]

How are your Christmas craft projects coming along -
are they all done, wrapped and ready for Monday?


18 comments:

  1. Your Advent Stitching Project is coming along very nicely, even if you are a few days behind with it. Maybe you can finish it during the additional 12 days of Christmas. :)
    My Christmas crafts projects are coming along OK. I finished another knitted gift, today. Nothing is wrapped, yet (in fact, I am still waiting for a couple of additional gifts to be delivered!), but, I hope they will arrive before I need to exchange gifts. The majority of my gifts will be New Year's gifts, given after Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That gives you a little more time - Bob is still working on something for our youngest grandson. Fortunately he will not get here till after Christmas so the gift will be completed

      Delete
  2. Last two reindeer got their legs and antlers last night. Now they need to be wrapped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve completed a hexie cushion, posted now. Also 3 Corrine Lapierre Polar bears for C’mas trees, all given out so now starting on mini hats out of sock wool for next years trees, my sock knitting days are over but the self stripping wool makes lovely little jumper and hat decs. Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of self striPPing wool [the joy of auto correct spelling]

      Delete
  4. It’s coming along beautifully and it is almost done. I don’t like sewing with metallic thread as it annoys me when it shreds itself. My jigsaw has had a piece missing from two of the days and also a random extra piece has appeared. It was expensive and I am cross!! Happy sewing. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should contact the company. My father had an expensive Christmas jigsaw one year which was a piece short, and they refunded him.

      Delete
  5. I suspect I'll not be doing any cross stitch collaboration until after Christmas! I'm not making g8fts this year, but have three small areas left 9n my email Christmas card to complete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The C-S-C definitely on the back burner for both of us then!!

      Delete
  6. I went to the wire with a pair of socks I have been knitting on and off for several years, for my son, finally finished and in the post to him this week ! I think that like in one of the above comments, my sock knitting days are now over!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mum started knitting me a jumper one year, but got to Dec 23rd and had an awful migraine. A dear friend from church rescued her, and I had my jumper Christmas morning .

      Delete
  7. Oh, your Advent calendar is super. So neat. I am sure it will be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Advent project is coming along beautifully and I love the expression on the deer's face! I think he is dreaming of a white Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bob is so right. It's more important to enjoy the process as you go and finish when it is finished. Love what you've stitched so far! Hope you wrote on the pattern to alert yourself abouth that tree placement.
    Won't the grands love it?!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I've made a note in the book!!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!