Friday 29 December 2023

You Gotta Pack A Pucket Or Two...

 
No, not a typo! Pucket describes itself as a frantic dexterity game, full of finger-flicking-fun. 
It also claims to be "The World's No. 1 Elasticated Table Game"
I cannot quite work out if that means a table game involving elastic, or a game involving an elasticated table. Or both. Anyhow, it is enormous fu - Steph and Gaz gave this to Liz and Jon last Christmas. 
But as with many such games, the heavy wooden board is much more durable than the corrugated cardboard box in which it is packaged.
And the table is beautifully made- with a wooden surround and green baize base, plus wooden pucks. The two elastic straps are fixed to strong wooden pins on either side. Liz and Jon requested a bag in which to store the table, plus the small bag containing the pucks and the instructions.
I had some Liberty print fabric in my stash and also a long strip of fleecy woollen curtain interlining. The print was given to me by someone in Dorset - the lining was in the 'free' box outside a posh curtain shop in Aylsham. I went in and checked it was free "Yes, it is too narrow to be useful" they said.

I made a really simple bag, with two carry handles, and put a double layer of lining fabric to cushion the table [4 layers on the base bto cushion those big knobbly pins] On the outside I added a pocket with a velcro closure to hold the bag of accessories.
A late Christmas gift, but one I hope the family will find useful. 
You can watch the Pucket video here. I love the fact that this is a Fairtrade product from the Asha workshop. I have some wooden angels on my Christmas tree which came from there in 1978!
And does anybody know what is the world's No. 2 elasticated table game might be? Is there a second one?



21 comments:

  1. I've noted the game and the company as a source for next Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect it is one your family would enjoy, Kirsten.

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of this game, before. Also, the link to the video didn't work for me. But, the bag you made for it is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. Sorry the link didn't work!

      Delete
  3. Sounds good fun and well done on making a really useful bag. A very expensive curtain place in a nearby town used to give away sample books and small remnants- now with the emphasis on upcycling, they sell them!! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were selling off the sample books for £1 and £2. I did treat myself!

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful handmade present. You know me, I had to Google the No. 2 game and there wasn't one that I could find ... perhaps it was the old Cats Cradle that we used to play with elastic bands or wool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I loved doing cats cradle. And French skipping with elastic bands around our ankles in the playground

      Delete
  5. Sounds great! I shall remember it for a future present! How does won win? When does the game end? Well done for creating an excellent new bag for the game! Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one who gets the most pucks through the slot wins

      Delete
  6. I'd not heard of this game either. What a lovely job you made of the bag x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah! An idea for a gift for Z&L for next year!! Wonderful bag you made, too and love the fabric.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a small piece of the fabric left. Must find a good use for it

      Delete
  8. Love that Liberty fabric. Great job on the bag. Did you watch the prog about Liberty at Christmas? In my post Christmas delirious stinking cold state I might have ordered myself a candle from their online sale! 75% off!I needed cheering up, what can I say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I missed that programme. Which channel? I shall find it on catch-up and watch once the family have gone

      Delete
    2. Channel 4 Christmas at Liberty (first shown 2021 but still interesting).

      Delete
    3. Thank you for the Liberty Link!

      Delete
    4. I watched it this evening - followed by the Aldi at Christmas programme. So very different!

      Delete
  9. That looks like a good game. The only game we ever had with pucks was Crokinole, and it was hard on the fingers flicking the pucks. I like the idea of a game with elastic much more.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!