Wednesday 8 February 2012

Am I Growing In Grace?

freeimages.co.uk nature images

In the Hebrew Calendar, 8th February is the New Year For Trees. Many families will celebrate by planting a tree or two, or encouraging children to try a new fruit they have not eaten before.

trees oak

Tu B'Shevat -the 15th of the Hebrew month of Shevat - is known as the "New Year for Trees." Naturally this would be a time for trees to engage in soul-searching, in the same way that Jewish people do on Rosh Hashanah. Rather than ‘New Year Resolutions’ it is about ‘Old Year Reflections’ – thus using wisdom learned in the past to inform behaviour in the future. Here is a Tree's New Year Checklist:

● Did I shelter the seedlings that live in my shade - so they will grow up to be a next generation like myself?

● Did I grow towards the sun as a tree should, reaching up higher and higher towards that which I can never grasp, but which nurtures me all the same the more I strive towards it?

● Did I make sure my roots remain firmly planted in the soil that nurtures them, and did I drop my leaves there in the autumn to give back life to that which sustains me?

● Did I ensure that my fruits were sweet and nourished all that came to enjoy them? Did everyone walk away from me with a smile?

● Did I bend gently in the wind, accepting what God sends but never breaking or giving up hope?

● Did I grow in strength and wisdom with each new ring this past year?

treerings

That is not a bad checklist for people too

face-in-trees

1 comment:

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!