Saturday 14 November 2015

Mairzy doats …

Mairzy-Doats-and-Dozy-Doats…and dozy doats
And liddle lamzy divey
A kiddley divey too,
Wouldn't you?

Or as it says in Johnson’s Dictionary

Oats: A grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland appears to support the people.

We both like oats – and porridge and granola are among our two favourite breakfast choices. But having recently broken a tooth on a nut, whilst eating granola, I was a little nervous about the hard bits. So Jamie’s Awesome Granola Dust really appealed. All the same granola ingredients [with added coffee and cocoa!], but blitzed in the processor to a powder. Watch him making it here.

granola dust

It is so versatile too – I found the recipe in one of the weekend papers, and the serving suggestions were fascinating.

  • Serve it with milk,
  • add fruit,
  • sprinkle it over yoghurt,
  • put it in a fruit smoothie,
  • make porridge,
  • use it in breakfast pancakes,
  • make a hot milky drink

… The taste is not overly sweet, and the appearance is not particularly exciting- you suspect it will taste ‘worthy’ – but in fact it tastes delicious! The recipe makes about 32 portions so if you store it in an airtight container, you'll have enough for weeks!

jack monroe 120

I have just borrowed this book from the library. There are some good recipes in here. Jack goes in for straightforward, thrifty cooking, and seasons the recipes with little anecdotes [I’m not sure she is to everyone’s taste though] But at last I have made oatcakes [aka bannocks] using her recipe. Mine look just as good as hers, I think!

P1020548

Jack originally published this recipe in the Guardian. It was easier than I thought. Again, it is a recipe which needs a food processor – but what is the point of having a gadget if you do not use it?

Oats for breakfast, oatcakes for supper, oats in my apple crumble topping … sorry Dr Johnson, I am not giving it to the horses!

4 comments:

  1. All good for your heart too! I, like you, enjoy porridge for breakfast and I love oatcakes and must have a go at the recipe but as I don't have a food processor I wonder how mine will turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I nipped across to the Guardian article you linked to and quite fancy making those - I eat a LOT of oatcakes - but is it just rolled (porridge) oats that are used?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just ordinary [rolled] porridge oats - cheapo basics ones!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I eat oats too and love me some crunchy granola. I like the idea of this one for sprinkling and fortifying breads and pancakes. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!