Sunday 22 November 2015

November 22nd – 52 Years Ago

I remember exactly where I was when I heard John F Kennedy had been assassinated [at home with my Mum, and my father came home from Boys’ Brigade and told us] I was just eight at the time, but i realised this was a major world event.

jfk

One wonders how things would have gone if he had lived longer, and had more years serving as the President. He and Jackie were truly the ‘golden couple’ who brought Camelot to the White House.

jfk and jackie

He was certainly a powerful orator – and I have chosen a few thought-provoking quotes – which still challenge us today, half a century later.

  • As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.
  • Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind
  • My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.
  • If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich.
  • If we cannot end now our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity.
  • Let us never negotiate out of fear. But let us never fear to negotiate.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for remembering JFK today. I am in the U.S. and have not heard it mentioned on our news. I cannot believe it has been 52 years. I was 9 years old and lived in JFK's home state of Massachusetts. I now live in Florida.

    I was reading Our Simple Life in Suffolk and saw your blog there.

    All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara - I was surprised not to see JFK mentioned today on any of the US blogs I read. I have visited Florida- but not Massachusetts. Maybe one day...

      Delete
  2. Oh the diversity one is so apt for my school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you know that CS Lewis died on that same day? I have no idea why I am telling you that :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, but I had forgotten. My father said at the time 'JFKs death will completely eclipse CSL's passing'. It is a bit like Mother Teresa and Princess Diana dying the same weekend, isn't it - one somehow completely blots out the other.

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!