Tuesday 22 March 2016

Have Mercy On US

I hope I do not have too many political rants on this blog. However, I feel I have to express my concern about the enthusiasm of a number of Republicans in the US - how come they are so eager to endorse Mr Trump? The man seems to have only a vague grasp on reality, and his answer to those he doesn't like is to thump them, imprison them, or just build a wall and keep them out. Pope Francis has reminded all the Presidential hopefuls that Christians build bridges, not walls. 
I have encountered sincere people [and in all other respects, kind and caring citizens] who genuinely believe that the only good Democrat is a dead Democrat - and would vote for Trump simply to keep Hilary Clinton out of the White House. But I cannot see that this volatile man has the qualities needed for a President of the USA, an office which holds such power, both monetary and military.

Brian Bilston's poem below will be understood by readers of a certain generation. A very succinct summing up of this man. 

8 comments:

  1. Agree with all you say, and with Trumpton!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pray for our country. I do fear that if he makes it to the White House that we are in big trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm generally pretty conservative politically, but I see no good choices in this election, Democrat or Republican. It brings home to me that my citizenship is not here, but in Heaven. So glad that whoever wins the election, God is still in control.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the Trumpton pic, raised a smile when there's little to smile about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And today's terrible events in Brussels will have only made things worse I think

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angela, I'm amazed at Trump's apparent popularity! But I must say that the Republican primary is providing great suspenseful entertainment! OUr local politics are so dull by comparison. Hope you are otherwise well - I'm having an awful day - have spent most of the morning on the phone with Apple support because a software update crashed my iPad - apparently lots of people are similarly affected - which doesn't make me feel any better. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. I came from a Democratic family -- my family was even in the state govt. At some point I became a Republican -- I am not sure when and I certainly don't remember the circumstances. My voter registration card states "republican" but I will be re-registering and my label will be "independent". I can't, in good conscience pledge total loyalty to either party and I don't believe in voting for a "party" just because your granddaddy did! I believe in voting for a person, regardless of label. I also don't believe in voting for one person you don't like just to keep somebody else that you dislike more from becoming president. Right now the US is in a really precarious position -- none of the candidates stand out as being a good choice. Maybe as things go on somebody will charge ahead but this is a difficult election. I really like Jan's comment and it echoes my feelings quite well.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!