Tuesday 13 September 2022

Buttons, Bicycle, Baby

For my August contribution to the Postcard Project, I added two things. I found my box of Dorset Buttons in the loft, and decided to. make a few more. As I did the foundation ring, I was struck by the similarity to a bicycle wheel. Apart from that week of really hot weather, I've tried to do at least one ride a week since July [to the Library, Craft Group or Egg Farm]
So I stitched a bicycle - using two curtain rings for the framework, and a tiny black plastic button for the chain guard. And of course,  I had to stitch a small Aida banner declaring the details of Baby Jacob's arrival. My 'flat gift' for Kirsten was a card of my ”Blandford Cartwheel " Dorset Buttons.
Both of us have had a chaotic time recently, family wise, and agreed to have a Stitch-free September [our project, our rules] but now we are thinking that our postcards should acknowledge the Queen's passing this month in some way.

 

15 comments:

  1. The bike is so clever and cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whilst you lived in Dorset did you come across Dorset Feather Stitch. We were taught this at primary school in the 1950’s. It is mostly Blanket stitch, Feather, Running and Whipped Running stitch, I still enjoy it but imagine teaching under 10’s to stitch it. Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I came across when I was reading up on the making of smocks. Maybe when Rosie is a little older, if she is still keen on sewing ...

      Delete
  3. I saw your bike on Kirsten's post. Clever you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That bike is just brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bicycle is sweet and I'm glad you included a banner announcing Jacob's birth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bicycle is lovely. What a great idea for using the Dorset stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice stitching! I really like your Dorset buttons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good to have learned a craft specific to the beautiful county where we lived for six years.

      Delete
  8. That bicycle is so beautiful. You are wonderfully talented and creative. The buttons look so delicate.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!