Monday 19 September 2022

Monday Mourning

 

The Lying-in-State over, three quarters of a million people have filed past, and today the funeral at the Abbey where she was married and crowned.
Years ago, my cousin Gillian and I decided that when Her Majesty died, we'd go together and join the queues to pay respect. Our grandfather, who died before we were born, had worked in the kitchens at Buckingham Palace, and also worked at the Royal Mint, making the Maundy Money... But when the Queen died, I was in Manchester, and Gill was in Heaven. So I have just watched things on TV. My SIL was able to lay flowers at Sandringham last week. 
After watching the funeral, Bob and I will be travelling to London, and staying overnight with Liz and Co. On Tuesday we are visiting my Aunt [Gill's Mum] who is unwell. 
It has been a very strange fortnight - nationally we have exchanged one PM for another, and lost a Queen and gained a King. Personally I will have spent time with the very youngest and very oldest members of the family. And I will have travelled miles and slept in four different bedrooms!


14 comments:

  1. Safe journeys, Angela❤️Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was very heartwarming to watch the line of people paying their respect as they filed past the late Queen's coffin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a remarkable 10 days, and a beautiful service up to now. 🌹

    Safe journey. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The service did go well. Just watching the cortege getting to the start of the final journey to Windsor. Then we shall start our journey to London.

      Delete
  4. My thoughts have been much with my darling friend Jo, who died in February aged only 57
    I imagine that your thoughts have been much with Gill
    I think it’s inevitable that we remember those we have lost, particularly recently ( and at far too young an age )
    I hope you travel safe and enjoy time together with your loved ones
    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - the Queen was 96 - a very long life, well lived - and I believe she was ready. But losing loved ones so much younger is harder.

      Delete
  5. There has been so much to read, see and watch on-line about the Queen's funeral. I was just reading the details of the committal service at Windsor, a beautiful ceremony with such great readings and hymns. It has been a hard long day for the Royal Family.
    I hope you have a safe journey and I hope that Gill's mother will be encouraged by your visit and that she will get better soon. I've said a little prayer for her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Safe journey Ang, and love to Peggy and J. Hope that she is well soon- will pray for her.
    I'm sad you and Gill didn't get to visit together but glad you get to spend time with Liz and co.
    They sang my favourite hymn at the funeral today- The Day thou gavest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie - I will pass on your kind words. My aunt thinks so highly of you

      Delete
  7. I've watched much of the funeral ceremonies for the Queen. It was very impressive. I will keep you in my thoughts while you travel to be with your aunt. I hope your aunt gains strength and gets better.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!