Tuesday 20 September 2022

The First Lady

I hesitate to review something which is not accessible to everyone - but I did want to comment on "The First Lady". This is a 10 part series, currently available on Amazon Paramount. 
Steph and Gary have AP, and she watched it recently and thought I'd enjoy it. I binge-watched it in 2 days [whilst cuddling a sleeping Jacob] The series tells the story of three women in the White House, 
at three very different times in American history. Eleanor Roosevelt [FLOTUS 1933—45] wife of Franklin, who served through the Great Depression and WW2, and died in office. 
Then Betty Ford [74-77] Her husband Gerald was Vice President, but was catapulted into the Oval Office when Richard Nixon resigned. Betty battled cancer and addiction, and sought to restore truth and integrity to the Presidency. 
Michelle Obama was wife of the first black president - like her husband Barack, she is a very intelligent lawyer, and they were in the White House 2009-2017.
Each episode shows a different aspect of 'being FLOTUS' [support through elections, health issues, the 'power behind the throne' etc] for each of the three women. 


Like "The Crown" there's a lot of imagined fictional dialogue as well as factual events. There is a stellar cast - Gillian Anderson is brilliant as Mrs R, with Kiefer Sutherland a believable FDR.  And Michelle Pfeiffer is a convincing Betty. I remember the Ford era, and the Obamas are still around - but it struck me as a good portrayal of all 3 couples [from my limited knowledge of USA history] You can see from these pictures of actor alongside POTUS/FLOTUS how hard they have worked at accuracy. If you have the opportunity, do check it out! 









12 comments:

  1. An intriguing series. I don't do Amazon so I won't get to see this but it's good to know it's a well-made series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the new FLOTUS' outfits while she was in the UK - very elegant and classy. I cancelled Amazon and am thinking of cancelling Netflix for the time being since I very rarely watch it and the subscription's just gone up. The mini-series looks awfully good though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I thought Jill B looked elegant too. These subscriptions keep going up. I hope First Lady does make it to ITV

      Delete
  3. That sounds fascinating, I'm glad they stopped at Michelle Obama, the next first lady would have made it a totally different series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The three women chosen were an excellent set - very different characters, approaching the themes in different ways.Each had their own strengths - and struggles

      Delete
  4. I must look out for this, I think I would enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, I think it is just your "cup of tea" - altho I found some of the episodes with family illness were a little hard to watch.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like an interesting series to watch. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very interesting - both entertaining and informative

      Delete
  6. Gillian Anderson is an incredible actress and I'm glad that Michelle Obama is being remembered. I have so much respect for her.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!