Friday 30 September 2022

In Which Ang Becomes A Stripper

The latest Memory Bear has just been completed - this time with only three shirts, not the usual four. It is for the mother of a young man who died too soon - and lived mostly in teeshirts and jeans. So I used some denim to make the backpack. I always ask if the family would like any leftover fabric returned - they usually say "No, you can keep it"
So I have a bag of shirt bits in the loft. I got it down this week, and sorted and ironed everything. Buttons [and interesting labels] were removed and stored - and then I cut off cuffs and collars, and separated the pieces into fronts, backs, sleeves and yokes. 
I cut every piece into a rectangle, and put large trimmings into a rag bag for Bob's workshop, small pieces into the bin. I ironed all the rectangles, and got out my BigShot Die Cutter, and my fancy new dies.

The instructions say you can cut up to eight 
layers - and if you fold the fabric carefully, make strips 5 yards long!

However my strips are mostly around 24" long, which is the length of the die - and about the length of a shirt back. It did not take me very long to produce hundreds of neat strips 2½" wide.
I have another carrier bag of shirt bits to 'strip', and then I am going to start planning my quilt. I borrowed this book from the library for inspiration.
It is full of quilts made using Moda 'Jelly Roll' packs, but I want to create my quilt using Memory Bear Strips. Once I have all my strips, I shall play around with them, and see what ideas I come up with.
But Kirsten has just sent me a package- so the next instalment of The Postcard Project has to be done first.








13 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've made a good start! Well done getting all the strips cut out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 👍I've a long way to go before I produce quilts as good as yours, Bless

      Delete
  2. What good reusing/recycling! The bigshot die sounds so useful! I was given a Bigshot a while back from someone who had bought it but never used it. It's pretty cool but I've not actually got around to using it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Big Shot was a gift (I have 4 die cutters, Angela, so have decided to give one away) I started with paper cutting. The Range is a good source of inexpensive dies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that absolutely nothing of all those treasured bits of fabric goes to waste. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of good recycling - you are having fun! Just as well you are retired and can make time for these projects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A good source of patterns for shirt strips is Bonnie Hunter from Quiltville Quips And Strips Blog. Look under her free patterns tab. Also if you can borrow them, her two Scraps and Shirttaills books were written for reusing shirt fabric. She is also an advocate of using scraps and strips. Most of her recent patterns are available as pdf downloads (paid for).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Second try at leaving a comment today. What a wonderful way to use up cherished fabrics. I love quilting-it’s a pity we live so far away from each other! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Blogger is proving difficult again I think

      Delete
  8. That looks like an amazing project. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!