Monday 12 September 2022

The Postman Always Visits Twice

Last year, PomPom sent the Jolly Postman on a world tour, to find a wife. He went all over the place. He reached Cornerstones in August. Rosie and I did our best to keep him amused - he went to a castle like Hogwarts, a jungle in a Garden Centre, a wedding in Dorset, and much more...And this summer he visited us for a second time.

This time, the big red felt envelope was bulging... The journal told stories of his adventures, the pink envelopes contained twenty one possible spouses, and the passport bore stamps from Ireland, Scotland, England, and four states of the USA. Rosie and I spent ages, looking at all the possible partners- and although we were rather fond of those drawn by Auntie Steph, we decided that choosing someone called Elizabeth was an excellent idea [just like Mummy Liz]

Rosie was very taken with the 'extras' -bible, knitting, butterfly, mouse, scarf and kilt. "I must make them some accessories for their new home" she declared. And rushed off to draw and cut out Jess-the-cat, and a jar of honey.  The best part of the package was the new book PP had sent us as a gift. The third book in the JP trilogy -

 the Jolly Pocket    Postman- in which our intrepid mailman shrinks to the size of a postage stamp.

This story comes with all sorts of added inserts, 


including a magnifying glass for reading the teeny tiny tiniest print. We had enormous fun with this book. Jolly meets some well known 

characters from other children's books, most notably Alice in Wonderland and Dorothy in Oz. Rosie and I had watched The Wizard Of Oz, last year, so she knew that story, and was also familiar with Alice's adventures.

I thought the book was extremely clever - I notice some reviews imply it is too hard for children under eight - but I think that would depend on whether they already knew about the other characters. The map shows his route, and we picked out lots of literary links. Rosie and I both rated it *****

Thank you PomPom for initiating this blogfest - and all the other participants who put such time into adding their pieces to the story.[I love the kilt, Annie, and not surprised by the crochet scarf, Mags] 

Last week, Rosie and I read a chapter of Alice's adventures at her sleepover [the wonderful Tea Party Chapter] and mused about living in a treacle well [too dark and sticky, we thought] 

Grandad Bob kindly made his famous pancakes at the sleepover breakfast, so we could put treacle [aka syrup] on them!

A happy summer holiday - it ended too soon!
Have you read any good children's books in your family recently?

18 comments:

  1. I love Jolly's travels! Cannot believe he is still searching!
    I'm glad you had a happy Summer holiday!
    I have read a few interesting and diverse children's books this Summer which I enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jolly and Elizabeth seem happily settled! ❤️

      Delete
  2. The Postman has long been a favourite of mine, and I have given the book as a gift to many children. So imaginative, and the little inserts are delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was one of the first to have inserts, which made it so special

      Delete
  3. That looks amazing. I wish I had found the Pocket Postman when bear was little. And I think it depends on how much adults are talking with the children. You can have all sorts of adventures without moving if you are talking to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Happy memories. I used to love reading this sort of book to my boys, we had the Jolly Postman and all the Alfie books as well as so many others that had pages of things to pull out and play with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shirley Hughes' Alfie books were so beautifully illustrated, such clever details

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful thing to do with Rosie who looks delighted to be taking part in the Jolly Postman’s journeys. My 47 year old was also an interested reader from a very early age and loved books that had bits and pieces to move about-Fungus the Bogeyman comes to mind as a gift she received which wore out with all the love it received. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A love of books which begins in childhood becomes a lifelong passion

      Delete
  6. I have the first two Jolly books, glad to hear there's a third! I shall look for it. I read Richard Scarry's The Great Pie Robbery, Claire Huchet Bishop's The Five Chinese Brothers, and Robert Lopshire's (Easy Reader) Put Me in the Zoo to a friend with dementia last week (the closest I can come to children at the moment.) She really enjoyed them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a kind thing for you to do for your friend. So incredibly thoughtful

      Delete
  7. I'd never heard of Jolly the Postman before Karen's fabulous idea and I'd quite forgotten the effort I put in to his matchmaking!!Thanks for the reminder, Ang and what a great keepsake for Rosie and Co. Batman and The Gruffalo are the two year old's faves at the moment, although my daughter-in-law took him to see the 'real' Gruffalo at the Edinburgh Book Festival lately and he was frightened out of his wits!! No such effect when he met the 'real' Batman and his Batmobile the week after!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kilt you made was splendid, A! I can imagine a "real" Gruffalo would be more scary than the one on the page.

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful project the Jolly the Postman saga was. The creativity of thought and artwork made for a unique and delightful experience for those of us who followed along.
    We have some children's books leftover from DS childhood including Richard Scarry books which DGD also enjoyed. We also have a unique book published in 2019 called "The Maple Syrup Maker's Alphabet", by Shelly Posen, illustrated by Magdalene Carson. It even has a song on the back cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not know the Maple Syrup Maker - but we did have some Richard Scarry books back in the 1980s

      Delete
  9. I so enjoyed reading about the origins of the blog hop and such a neat finish him tying the knot with Elizabeth ❤️. We love the Jolly Postman stories, Richard Scarry, Angelina Ballerina, Katy Morag, Going on a Bear Hunt and my all time favourite Five minutes peace 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read "Going on a bear hunt" to my 2 year old grandson almost every day this week. He loves it!

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!