Thursday 1 September 2022

Oh! Deer!

We spent yesterday up at the coast with the family - first to Wells for coffee and crabbing, and then on to Holkham Hall Estate, where we met up with SIL Barbara, and all the 'niblings'.

Rosie was so excited when we drove into the estate and paid the woman in the HiViz jacket for our parking. "We came here before, I remember. I love it" then she saw a herd of animals grazing in the distance 


"Oh! Deer!" she exclaimed, pure joy in her voice
"Oh dear!" I replied in a more miserable tone.
"No Grandma, not ...not...'Egg-on-the-floor-oh-dear' I mean 'Oh, look at the deer!' " - I told Rosie that was an utterly brilliant explanation.
We had a lovely day with all the family, my SIL and I walked round the lovely walled garden. They have a most amazing amount of vegetables growing there, which supply the café and the shop. Barbara pointed out a few things which will help with my ongoing gardening project, including useful stuff about growing herbs. There was so much space though - they had an area the size of my raised bed which was nothing but parsley.
We had a fun day together and it was good to catch up with family.
One final photo, from the coffee shop in Wells. I had to snap this sign. Definitely one for my word365 [normal for Norfolk?]




16 comments:

  1. Recently I had to travel to Gloucester on a regular basis for a couple of weeks. There was a sign near the bus station which said, "Pedestrians please follow divesion". I took a photo. A week later the sign had been replaced by one with the correct spelling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Rosie's explanation of which deer/dear she meant! As for the sign, too funny! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant explanation by Rosie-it would be a great teaching point in a lesson! It’s lovely to have a day out with family and what a joy to wander round a well stocked garden. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, love the sign!!! I wish I were better with my gardening. I finally pulled up my spinach plants yesterday- they went to seed in June!! In my defence, I saved them to supply shade!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor widow, she must have been fed up with being leaned on! I love Rosie's explanation, so apt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sign made me chuckle all day. And Rosie is so good with words

      Delete
  6. Rosie is such a clever girl. "Not egg-on-the-floor-oh-dear." That's one to file away for when one needs a smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will definitely go into the family treasury of sayings

      Delete
  7. Rosie is very clear thinking and awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rosie is so smart. I wonder if she will become a teacher when she grows up?

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!