Sunday 11 September 2022

Complete

I watched the Service of Prayer and Reflection from St Paul's Cathedral on Friday evening. [You can download the order of service here] They said the hymns and music were all favourites of Her Majesty. One piece, by Charles Wesley, is a favourite of mine too, it was my College hymn. It does seem to sum up our Queen's promise that "be it short or long" her whole life would be committed to fulfilling her calling to service. 

O Thou who camest from above,
the pure celestial fire to impart
kindle a flame of sacred love
upon the mean altar of my heart.

There let it for thy glory burn
with inextinguishable blaze,
and trembling to its source return,
in humble prayer and fervent praise.

Jesus, confirm my heart's desire
to work and speak and think for thee;
still let me guard the holy fire,
and still stir up thy gift in me.

Ready for all thy perfect will,
my acts of faith and love repeat,
till death thy endless mercies seal,
and make my sacrifice complete.

 

 

 

 

 


[most popular tune is Hereford ]

8 comments:

  1. She was a wonderful example of service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a beautiful service, wasn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying to think what tune that would be sung to and the only one that seems to fit (&doesn't quite) is 'The day though gavest Lord is ended' tune....which actually seems v appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The most popular tune is Hereford - https://youtu.be/R3UYybc7Xa0

      Delete
  4. I wasn't familiar with that beautiful hymn and it does reflect the Queen's commitment, especially as she did speak to her faith openly in her messages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall miss her Christmas message - always a great gospel sermon!

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!