Friday 23 September 2022

End Of Year Report [Part One]

It seems amazing that I have been gardening for over a year now.  In September 21, I had a few rows of seedlings, growing lettuce, spinach and garlic - the rest of the rows covered with cardboard to deter weeds.
One year later, there is so much happening - leeks, carrots, various salad leaves, chard, beetroot, kohlrabi and turnips.
I have learned so much from Huw's book - but over the year have developed in confidence and realised I do not have to follow his instructions to the letter. 
When my kale crop failed completely, I decided to plant some carrots and some more lettuce leaves in rows 3 and 4 instead. The spuds worked so well, and eating my own fresh
new potatoes was a delight - so I have some buckets in the back garden with more plants, hopefully which will be ready around Christmas. 
The gift of a greenhouse [and the plants to go in it] from my SIL has made a huge difference to the selection of veg - tomatoes, peppers and even a couple of aubergines. The Subscription to Gardeners' World magazine from my other SIL provided lots of information and some free seeds too.
On my return from Manchester, I harvested the most ripe peppers, then sliced, blanched and froze them to enjoy in winter casseroles. 
I have kept diligent notes, writing up every week or two exactly what I have done, what worked, what failed, and the weight of my harvested veg. Plus the costings.
This has been a wonderful year in my garden!

22 comments:

  1. That's brilliant!!! I'm so glad you have found joy in gardening! It's such a delight to eat things you have grown! Most of my annual 'planted' veg hasn't done well this year but the perennials like raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, rocket, Welsh onions have been amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't give much thought to growing fruit, other than the apple and pear trees

      Delete
  2. A very productive growing season! There is lots of very useful advice out there, but nothing beats practical experience in the garden and intimate knowledge of your own particular growing conditions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true - I have joined the local gardening club, because I would like to find out more about specific growing conditions in Norfolk

      Delete
  3. What a good gardening year you have had and the joy is that you can do it all over again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue - your blog has been one of my inspirations

      Delete
  4. Well done, a great achievement .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you've had what sounds like a very successful year of gardening! My garden didn't do too well, this year, but, water restrictions and 100F+ temperatures don't go well together. I'm looking forward to planting the cold season vegetables but, it is going to be 100F this weekend, so, the cold season plants won't go in the ground for at least another month or so!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Philip's advice about learning about my particular situation is helpful. Your garden is so different!

    ReplyDelete
  7. See! Not difficult at all. Letting go and realising that your soil conditions and the weather are really in control is half the battle! My outdoor plot has really suffered this year - it's too far from the house for hand watering, but my greenhouse tomatoes and cucumbers are still going strong. You'll find that every year is a little different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fortunate to have the raised bed close to the house, only a few paces from water butt and outside tap

      Delete
  8. You've done remarkably well considering you were a novice gardener and I think I said at the time, you don't need to follow the textbooks verbatim. Looks like you've found your gardening rhythm, Ang. Keep going! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BMAY, as you say, finding one's own rhythm is important

      Delete
  9. Gadrners World is such a helpful magazine, and with a subscription you do get little extras like discounts on some retailers sites. I keep a diary too and it is really helpful to look back over the years to see when things produced and how much etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I got the GW discount on some seeds. Thinking of treating myself to this month's offer (big selection of alliums)

      Delete
  10. Well done! I remember how satisfying it was to grow so many veggies in the garden! Initially we made the mistake of planting too much lettuce at the same time and learned quickly to plant them about 2 weeks apart!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately my book advises successive plantings!

      Delete
  11. It's good to read of your success. There is nothing to beat fresh veggies straight from the garden!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!