Wednesday 7 September 2022

Well Trained

The train journey from Norwich to Manchester (cross country via Nottingham) takes 4 hours and 42 minutes. Adding in the car journey from Cornerstones to the station, and another at the far end, I knew it would be a long, long day. I packed drink and snacks and things to keep myself occupied.

☕🍌πŸͺπŸ“—☕🍌πŸͺπŸ“—

I was surprised that a train going from Norwich to Liverpool only had two carriages, but maybe other people pay more for the route via London which is a little faster [but you have 2 changes and a tube journey]

πŸš‚πŸš‚πŸš‚πŸš‚πŸš‚πŸš‚πŸš‚πŸš‚

The first hour and a half, I had a delightful gentleman sitting across the table, he was en route to Leeds for a retreat. We discovered that we had much in common - our faith, despair at some of the current directions in English education, and good literature. We enjoyed great conversation about all sorts of things like the last Montelbano novel, and why I ought to read Mansfield Park. After he left, I got out my sewing...



Bob and Steph kept in touch via WhatsApp, and everything went well. Watching the couple at the table opposite working hard on their laptops, I felt very low-tech with my needle and thread. But I had such fun creating my little oiseaux des fΓͺtes. [Story here]

For the final hour of the journey, I was joined at my table by a pleasant couple going to. Manchester for a 3 day city break. They'd never visited before. The guy went to sleep, clearly tired and in need of the holiday. His wife and I chatted about where to go in the city, and what to see. I packed away my sewing. Steph and Jacob were waiting for me outside the station, and the train arrived on time. All good

How do you pass the time on long train journeys??

16 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a safe journey and people to talk to on the way as well as a craft project to do. I am trying to remember the last time I rode in a train - back in 1975, I think, when I went from Indiana to Wisconsin after spending a weekend with a former roommate and her family. I don't remember there being any tables in the train, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some trains have not only tables but also power sockets and USB charging points

      Delete
  2. I love to people watch and like you will always say hello
    And maybe strike up a conversation
    I have no creative skills at all, but will always have a book with me
    The journey sounds really nourishing , knowing that there were people who loved you at both the start and the end of your journey
    Enjoy your time away
    Siobhan 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good, and I felt so blessed to meet pleasant people on the way, and as you say, having loving family to send me off and to meet me...❤️

      Delete
  3. That sounds like a great journey. For me, if I'm on the train, I like to knit, do word puzzles and, best of all, look out the window and daydream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often but a newspaper and read it then work through the crossword and puzzles section. Daydreaming is lovely too...we have some glorious countryside to look at en route

      Delete
  4. I mss getting the train to London to visit my Bestie. Same length of journey as you just had. Enjoy the time with the little 'uns.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad that I could make the journey - also glad that in retirement I'm living really close to my best friend Christine for the first time in almost 50 years

      Delete
    2. Mine's is in NZ now! A bit further to go.

      Delete
  5. Your journey sounds lovely - good conversations and crafting to pass the time ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. My most frequent train trips in the UK are ones from London to either Edinburgh or Glasgow. I love watching the scenery, especially the stretch just north of Berwick-Upon-Tweed where the train follows the coastline--love looking down at the waves crashing on the rocks or looking out to sea while traveling at speed. But the rolling hills and sheep farms are comforting, too. Usually I will listen to an audiobook and/or sometimes knit. Have also enjoyed the Eurostar and the TGVs in France.
    In the US, I used to take the train from Washington, DC to New York City for work (flying there was miserable as it also required a long taxi ride from the airport into Manhattan--a ride guaranteed to make you car sick). The train took about 4 hours each way. Most of those journeys were spent on working on my laptop. The British scenery from London to Scotland is far lovelier compared to the DC to NY route. :)
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The England-Scotland trip reminds me of that great little Night Mail filmhttps://youtu.be/zmciuKsBOi0

      Delete
  7. That sounds like fun, and always good to find people to chat with on a journey. My DH and I love trains and 50 years ago traveled out west on "The Canadian", sleeping overnight. Alas, now we have no trains at all in the Ottawa Valley and the track has been torn up. With the loss of the 300 car trains, freight now travels on our main highway, all in large transports and tankers! No sense about it at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sad - a man called Dr Beeching ripped up many UK railways in the 1960s. An unwise and ill-considered decision if you ask me

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!