Saturday 10 September 2022

Moonlit Apples

Please do not think I have forgotten the national situation... but I'm sure that Her Majesty would not want us all to spend the next 10 days in a state of inertia. I plan to write my daily blog as usual, recognising there are other things going on in the world.... Did you ever read this poem at school? 

Moonlit Apples 

At the top of the house the apples are laid in rows,
And the skylight lets the moonlight in, and those
Apples are deep-sea apples of green. There goes
A cloud on the moon in the autumn night.

A mouse in the wainscot scratches, and scratches, and then
There is no sound at the top of the house of men
Or mice; and the cloud is blown, and the moon again
Dapples the apples with deep-sea light.

They are lying in rows there, under the gloomy beams;
On the sagging floor; they gather the silver streams
Out of the moon, those moonlit apples of dreams,

And quiet is the steep stair under.

In the corridors under there is nothing but sleep.
And stiller than ever on orchard boughs they keep
Tryst with the moon, and deep is the silence, deep
On moon-washed apples of wonder.

John Drinkwater [1917]

I thought about it again on Friday, when my brother and SIL brought me a huge crate containing all the apples from their trees [they moved house yesterday] I didn't have time to deal with them immediately, so last Saturday, Bob and I put them into store. They are temporarily laid out in a well ventilated space [the old garage] using 5 bricks, and that free fireguard to make a shelf.

They are sweet enough to eat now, but I shall prepare some of them for using in the winter. Maybe freeze them, or possibly make some chutney.

John Drinkwater was born in Leytonstone, London, but later moved to Birmingham and worked in insurance. He was one of the "Dymock Poets" who met in Dymock in Gloucestershire  - they included Rupert Brooke, Robert Frost and Edward Thomas. Sadly the group broke up in 1914 at the start of WW1.

There's an added twist - on Saturday afternoon, I met a friend in the village who grew up in Leytonstone, and I said I'd been given some apples and "the apples are laid in rows" She immediately said "John Drinkwater - Moonlit Apples - he came from Leytonstone, Angela" 

When I told her that was why I was sure she would know the poem, she was really pleased. And said when I get home from Manchester, I must call round and borrow her fancy apple-peeling machine, to speed up the preparation process! I have such thoughtful friends. Thanks Judy

20 comments:

  1. I did not know this poem and am now pleased to be acquainted with it. Its a full moon tonight too. I'm interested in the Leytonstone connection as that is where my father was brought up before the journey East to Romford.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad did just the same! Strange coincidences...

      Delete
  2. Each autumn I make a batch of stewed apples with sultanas, brown sugar and cinnamon and freeze it in ramekins. I make enough in a batch for about a dozen or so pots, and freeze them. We thaw one for a Sunday morning addition to our breakfasts. Very tasty and warming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think an apple compote is a delicious breakfast addition, thanks for this idea 👍

      Delete
  3. You have a busy time ahead! I stewed and froze all the apples from our tree, but there are still odd windfalls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odd windfalls cooked quickly in the microwave would make a good breakfast addition (see comment above)

      Delete
  4. It's the first time I've heard of this poem, but, I loved seeing your apples laid out so neatly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They should keep better, being separated and well ventilated

      Delete
  5. I had never seen that poem before. I'm off to investigate John Drinkwater now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That poem is so delicately magical

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely poem! What beautiful apples! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore that poem (& indeed any with moonlight in them ).
    My grandad grew up in Plaistow which isn't far from Leytonstone. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another connection! 🍎🍏🍎🍏🍎

      Delete
    2. Ha, you were obviously in my mind as I went out into Dad's garden and gathered fallen apples to bring home!

      Delete
  9. I love that poem and gosh I'm pining for the apple trees in our old house! We have three apples on a very dwarf Egremont russet and have plans to plant another similar variety, since the existing apples (from previous owners) are not a good match. Dave has plans for a Merry Weather Damson too, we also had one in the old house 😊. It reminds me of the Joni Mitchel song, 'Big Yellow Taxi' you don't know what you miss until its gone.

    I'm glad you are going to continue blogging about ordinary days as I must admit the wall to wall coverage is quite depressing - in my opinion I hasten to add 😊. Sending hugs San x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss the James Grieve which we had in our garden in Bexleyheath. But grateful for the trees we do have - and for friends who share their bounty. I hope your plans work out.... And I will try to keep blogging!

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!