Sunday 4 September 2022

WIP

 When we were walking round the Walled Garden at Holkham on Wednesday I came upon a bed at the end of one row which looked rather sad. The glass which had been in this Cold Frame was missing, and the wooden structure was disintegrating in places. It was not clear what plants were growing haphazardly inside. Frankly, in comparison to the rest of the place it was Rather Messy. But it had a very neat sign

It struck me that I am a Project In Progress [and have been for over 60 years] There have been moments when my life's felt a bit messy, or I've felt things are disintegrating around me, or my growth [physical, spiritual or emotional] has not been as healthy as it might be. But I do believe that things are In Progress, and I am being made into a better person [slowly!], transformed by God.
There's a great verse in Isaiah where God says "I have not forgotten you, I've written your name on the palm of my hand"
People used to do that a lot [before the incessant pandemic handwashing] If they wanted to remember something, a phone number, a date, a shopping item, whatever, then they would grab a biro and scribble it on their hand. Right where they could see it often, in a place where they wouldn't lose it.
Today I am so grateful not only that God has not forgotten me, and considers me a Work In Progress - but also grateful for family and friends who constantly remember to show love and support even on days when I am not at my best. 
Here's a very old hymn, written 150 years ago, which makes reference to that Isaiah verse. I learned it as a child, but love it even more since a new tune was written in 1997. Have a great Sunday!



29 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. I’m feeling forgotten and unwanted today. 17 years of living alone is taking its toll. Being old in today’s society is uncomfortable. I know this will pass and all will be well again and I’m a great believer in the power of prayer but still a WIP. Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sandra, you will be in my prayers today. Loneliness is really tough - be assured that there are people who care for you, and nothing can separate us from the love of God. ❤️🙏

      Delete
    2. Sending thoughts and prayers Sandra
      Siobhan

      Delete
    3. Thank you Siobhan. It is so good to know that we can show care for one another like this.

      Delete
    4. Sandra, I wish you well. I hope you can
      reach out and have some contact with other people today. I hope you have some kind of happy surprise today.

      Delete
    5. That's a lovely response, Jan

      Delete
    6. Love to you Sandra. All things do pass but sometimes we just want a big hug right now when we are feeling things right niw Sending you one virtually

      Delete
  2. I had forgotten what a beautiful hymn this is and the new tune gives it new life. Thank you for sharing this as the words will bring comfort to many. I love the idea of being a WIP !

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's something I feel is a reassurance. He doesn't give up on us, even if we are a work in progress. I am also reassured that works in progress don't always look pretty.

    And I'll remember Sandra in my prayers as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LM - both for your encouraging words, and for your prayers

      Delete
  4. Thank you. Comforting words
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Long ago I read a small book called "Plain and Simple" by Sue Bender. She lived with an Amish family for a period of time and wrote of the 9 lessons she's learened f from them. I've always remembered "Take pleasure in the process". From my quilt making, I also have many WIPs!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must try and find that book, it sounds interesting

      Delete
  6. I think at times that we are all a Work in Progress, and having a sign like that on a badge to wear would be a brilliant idea for those days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another lovely post, Ang. The Amish book does sound good. I once did a week long Road Scholar ( Elderhostel) study on the Amish in Illinois.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know about Rhodes Scholars, but not Road Scholars

      Delete
  8. Just as Michelangelo saw David in an flawed chunk of marble, God already sees us as we will be.
    You are not forgotten by God, Sandra and we are praying that you feel his love. ~ a WIP skye

    ReplyDelete
  9. God bless you Sandra and hold you safe in His arms.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post. For Sandra, I've lived alone most of my adult life, 30+ years and counting. Many a time I've felt forgotten, but then someone reaches out or I reach out to them, and I realize I am remembered after all. I hope you feel remembered soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like that sign! I guess we are all projects in progress for as long as we live.
    Sending well wishes to Sandra; may she feel less alone, forgotten, and unwanted.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a good reminder. I need to use the analogy with the children

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Children are often very upset if they feel they have not met a set target.

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!