Wednesday 28 September 2022

To Die For?

One thing on my "retirement-to-do-list" was to make a quilt. There are loads of boxes of fabric in the loft, despite giving away more than my own body weight in stuff before the move. Earlier in the year we were in a CS in Norwich and Bob pointed out some boxes of Quilting Dies. "Are they any good to you?" he said. They were new and unopened 
They were for the Accuquilt system, and although two sets were for a 12" machine, I knew one box of shapes would work in my 6" Sissix Big Shot. 
I splashed out £10 on this set which would prepare shapes quickly and easily. The following day my dear friend Val and her husband visited us - they were on holiday in Norfolk. She told me she'd bought herself an Accuquilt cutter when she retired. It had a few dies, and the strip cutter was really useful. But she said the dies were so expensive!**
I was in Norwich again a couple of days later - they'd still got the two 12" sets, but had reduced them to half price, £20 each. They were soon sent off to Kent! "oh I'm so glad to get rid of them" said the Manager "they've hung about for months and I was going to bin them"
I was busy with memory bears, and grandchildren, and other stuff. Quilting plans postponed... Then in July our local wool and fabric shop in Dereham closed down. They had a pack of Sissix dies to cut 2.5“ strips, along with the cutting pads reduced to less than half price. Yippee! 
I borrowed lots of books from the library, and trawled the Net looking for ideas. I made two quilts in 2010 which are in the back bedroom, but I want to do something different this time. 
And my plans are starting to come together, watch this space...
**I've since discovered that the total cost of these three Accuquilt sets would be in excess of £700!

20 comments:

  1. Oh my! Those dies sound expensive! I thought £20 seemed a lot but £700???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow,good spotting Bob. I always associate quilt making with economic living, using up scraps and supplying warm coverings so £700 seems a frightening figure. I look forward to seeing the resulting quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't cope with the idea of buying new fabric to cut up, sew together and make a smaller piece of fabric!

      Delete
  3. I've made a number of quilts over the years, but never done the accurate cutting and piercing business! Mine have mostly been made by sewing scraps into long strips, and crazy sewing the strips downs onto a foundation, often an old mattress protector or bit of blanket. Then I have backed it with a piece of cloth (sheet or similar) and brought the backing to the front to bind it. Quick, because I don't have space for long projects. We use them as extra layers on the bed Winter. I'll put some photographs onto my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my previous quilts have been cheap, cheerful and quick too!

      Delete
  4. Well spotted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow! I've been making quilts since I was 17 years old and I never knew there were such things as dies! What have I been missing?
    Looking forward to seeing the quilt you are making, Angela. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 👍 I only found out recently when I saw them in the charity shop

      Delete
  6. What a bargain! I can't wait to see the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only ever done small scale quilting years ago - cushions, baby quilts, scrap quilts, and I had never heard of all these new items to help create accurate pieces. That was wonderful to be able to buy some dies at an affordable price and even find some to send to your friend. I look forward to seeing your future creations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having the ability to cut lots of accurate pieces quickly and easily is an incentive

      Delete
  8. I've been making quilts of all sizes for 30 yeears and it's just too much fun!. My best advice: if you don't have a quarter inch foot for your mahine, just sew with the edge of the presser foot aling the cut edge of your fabrics - not 5/8" seam as clothes have! Also, always check that your fabrics are facing each other before you sew.
    Have fun!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You two have eagle eyes for bargains!
    I hope you enjoy making the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have an Accuquilt Go! Cutter - the bigger one - and, to be honest, I rarely use it. I sold a lot of the dies I got when I first got it and kept only the ones that are awkward to cut by hand like the stars and circles. I much prefer using my rotary cutter along with my quilting rulers. As Barbara Anne said, it's important to sew an accurate ¼" seam for the pieces to fit properly. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right - even if pieces are cut accurately, they must be lined up and sewn accurately too.

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!