Thursday 15 September 2022

Reading The Signs

Steph and I went to the Trafford Centre on Monday morning. My first visit there for over 10 years. There were lots of stores to see, and signs to read. Perhaps I should have gone to Specsavers - I thought at first this was sewing happiness, and was a little disappointed to realise it was serving ice-cream** 

John Lewis haberdashery was really depleted compared to last time - so very little sewing happiness there either. The cushion was encouraging though
Steph and I were quite unfamiliar with some of the newer shops, and the fashion brands have such intriguing names. 
I thought Stradivarius made violins, and "Pull and Bear" sounds like some sort of instruction to engage in hard labour! 
This had to be the strangest name! Whatever do they mean by it? 
We also looked at - but did not buy - the bags of meringue sweets
Live lightly and brightly ✔️ Fair trade ✔️
Recyclable ✔️ Vegetarian ✔️
Gluten free ✔️ Natural colours and flavours ✔️
75% + white sugar? ? Not quite so good
There's a wonderful building firm locally, we've seen their vans out and about
In these days of national mourning, it lifts one's spirits to come across the cheerful name of "Rejoice and be clad" doesn't it? 
It takes ages to get round the shops when pushing the buggy - every other woman wants to look at Jacob and comment on how tiny he is, and how well Steph looks, considering she gave birth just 3 weeks ago. 
**As well as gelato, you can also buy 'rolled ice cream' which is a very strange concept [website here] but seems extremely popular amongst the Mancunians. 






17 comments:

  1. 'Rejoice and be clad' is brilliant and yes, makes you smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of rolled ice cream, but, haven't had any. Did you try some?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🍦🍧🍨No (too expensive imho) - but I did share a tub of plain vanilla in the park with George!!

      Delete
  3. Our local farm shop stocks Live Lightly & Brightly meringues.
    I regularly buy a pack of two of the lemon variety, and drop one off for my daughter in law!
    I haven't been to the Trafford Centre for many years, we used to visit quite frequently when our son was working at Salford Quays, but now he's back on the Wirral we no longer bother. I'd far rather pop into Chester if I want to mooch around shops! It's very handy for Steph though!
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very handy for Steph - she has realised that being on Maternity leave, it is easier for her to visit at less busy times too!

      Delete
  4. So interesting! We're sad, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought President Obama's tribute to our Queen was very thoughtful - both statesmanlike and kindly in his tone.

      Delete
  5. We were back at the Trafford Centre in 2019 and I hardly recognised it from our frequent visits in 1999 when our daughter lived and worked in Holmes Chapel. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is constantly changing - I suspect smaller shops find the rents too high

      Delete
  6. I am always sad when visiting John Lewis' haberdashery (Oxford St and/or Peter Jones) in London. The department used to be so vibrant and well-stocked. It was one of the first places I would head to years ago for the racks of knitting patterns, massive selection of knitting wool and so many types of fabric. The same cannot be said these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true in the John Lewis in Leicester and Norwich, sadly

      Delete
  7. What extraordinary stores and signs! I do like the "Rejoice and be Clad" one. I had never heard of "Rolled Ice cream" before. This part of England seems to be unlike anything I remember!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lot of food for imagination! I feel attracted to the Trafford Centre - not to buy anything, but just to enjoy the names!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought very little - but it was fun to browse

      Delete
  9. My bestie in NZ says there's hardly any word of recent events. I was in my local Oxfam yesterday and they had a rail with new clothing, including Stradivarius and Zara. The Strad stuff wasn't that great quality, to be honest.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!