Thursday 5 November 2009

Fantastic Fabrics

Last night at Sewing Group the girls worked really hard - some to finish their needlecases

DSCF0861

and others were making Christmas gifts. Ann has taught them a variation on stitch-and-flip patchwork and they are producing makeup bags and spectacle cases. It is a very economical technique, using up the smallest strips of fabric.

"You will take pictures won't you?" they chorused. So I did!

DSCF0859

DSCF0857

DSCF0858

DSCF0860

At the end of our session, Bob arrived - and they all sang "Happy Birthday" to him. Then we had the Church Meeting - and that group sang to him as well. It is a sign of the times that he only received two birthday cards yesterday - but lots of greetings on Facebook.

academicals

DSCF0856

As well as the Terry Pratchett book which I knew he wanted, I also found a great tie in another fantastic fabric.

The design is all electronic components.

What we cannot understand though, is why the background fabric has a little elephant design woven into it. Initially we thought it was stained then we realised the whole tie was covered with little pachyderms!

The main pattern is resistors, capacitors etc. There is great  potential for bad puns here, but my resistance is strong, so I shall switch subjects and avoid making any!

 

I got up ridiculously early this morning. I woke at 5.30am and suddenly remembered buying some puff pastry in Aldi [it's v. good and only 45p a pack] but I couldn't remember putting it away in the freezer. I figured that as the house has been very cold due to an extended power cut, it would be OK if I used it straightaway.

So I made a chicken and mushroom pie, a tarte tatin and a batch of apple turnovers - and also some chicken soup and bread rolls for today's lunch, as well as our breakfast porridge.

So that's six things prepared before breakfast! Which reminded me

alice queen `I can't believe that!' said Alice. `Can't you?' the Queen said in a pitying tone. `Try again: draw a long breath, and shut your eyes.' Alice laughed. `There's no use trying,' she said `one can't believe impossible things.' `I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. `When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day.

Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!'

4 comments:

  1. What a brilliant way to start the day. I have to admit that I didnt even think about getting up till mush later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm up early today, too. It happens to me sometimes when I have a really full day ahead. I'll be sleeping in my soup by this evening! You are an ambitious and productive person. I sit around and drink coffee, trying to clear my head! Love the tie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to Bob! I love Terry Pratchett.

    Re: the lack of birthday cards. It is a sign of the times...who needs to speak to friends face-to-face when you have facebook? :) Lol, in fact because of facebook I now know more about some friends' private interests than I really care to know!!

    Love the tie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. But by 4.45pm when I got in from school I was ready to fall asleep! I love your mis-type Elizabeth - if I get up too early, my brain is DEFINITELY mush later!!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!