Thursday 10 July 2014

Knowing The Drill

lewis-queen-lh

As a child I was taken to see the Isle of Lewis Chessmen in the British Museum. I was told that the Queen is sitting in this melancholic pose because she is contemplating the futility of battle, and the loss of life. In recent weeks, I have reconsidered- I believe she has a nasty pain* in her wisdom tooth! Today [somewhere between 9 and 10am] the consultant at the Leicester Royal Infirmary should be operating on my recalcitrant molar [under local anaesthetic]

I am grateful to everyone who has sent me pre-op good wishes. Not quite so happy about the horror stories others have felt compelled to share. Especially useful have been some of the tips passed on

  • have supplies of yogurt and ice cream on hand, as eating will be difficult post-op, and these two are especially soothing and slip down easily [Thanks, Jurenko clan]
  • don’t be afraid to put up your hand if you need a break from the drill – but it will all be over much quicker if you don’t
  • beforehand, make a mental list of people to pray for – then concentrate on that rather than what is happening inside your mouth. That way you will be using the time most positively.

I particularly liked the last suggestion. My usual practice in the chair is to recite the 23rd Psalm in my head- but I do not want to repeat it over and over for half an hour! Praying for others, particularly those whose pain is infinitely greater than mine seems a very sensible idea [thanks Carole V]

*in the last few days it has hurt to eat, smile and kiss. I need this op!

15 comments:

  1. Hopefully it won't be as bad as you fear. I had mine done many years ago and although immediately afterwards I felt like I had done a couple of rounds with Ali in the boxing ring that didn't last long and I was able to eat again very soon. I don't know if you want/need to be slimmer but it was a great way of losing weight over the couple of days I was on soup and yoghourt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your wisdom tooth procedure. I can't imagine what it would be like. I just find that a crown preparation is traumatic enough. I've just had my fourth.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do hope it is not too painful post op, more likely your jaw will ache mostly from being pushed around!
    I still think that the constant nagging pain and risk/having repeated infections is worse than say breaking a limb!
    But, it will be worth this short bout of pain and anxiousness to be rid of it.
    You'll still have your wisdom but, not the wisdom tooth lol! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank the Lord the pain will go and that the appointment has come. Ahrgh, rather you than me. I have an impacted wisdom tooth with its root close to a nerve so I am praying it never wants to start coming through more x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I must have been lucky - no pain during, little pain after and eating straight away :) My wisdom teeth were embedded. A student dentists at the hospital did mine amidst supervisory shouts! I did get an infection after but again no pain. I think the pain of having the wisdom tooth is far worse than the procedures - I was just so relieved to be getting rid of them.
    Oh and all medical stuff - I always pray through them!
    God bless - I'll pray for you this morning as I tackle the ironing.
    L.x.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for you. And thank you for the tips, especially the first. I will pass them on to my daughter who will be having a wisdom tooth out under a general anaesthetic at the end of this month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the op, hope it's not too painful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 9.20, so praying right now for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Make sure you rest afterwards to aid the healing process..you will feel so much better tomorrow!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no! You'll feel so much better when it's over! Praying! So sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope all went well today, Ang! I had my wisdom teeth out when I was eighteen, and as I recall it was fine. No pain, just the oddness of having teeth pulled, and then the grogginess of pain medication later. All will be well!

    xofrances

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope things have gone well, and you are home safe and resting up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hoping your healing well and over the worst. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wanted to drop a remark and let you know your Rss feed isnt working today. I tried adding it to my Yahoo reader account but

    got nothing.
    Cccam Server

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry about that - hope things ok now!

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!