Saturday 5 July 2014

I’ve Looked At Life From Both Sides Now…

This lesson idea is one which has slowly developed from something another teacher suggested to me – but I pass it on to those of you who are teachers, as it is a useful one to have up your sleeve at the end of term…

Begin by asking the class what the first month of the year is, and talk about Janus, who could see both ways. Explain that at the end of a school year it is good to look back at the past year, and to look forward to the new year coming up after the holidays.

Draw a silhouette on a piece of folded black paper and cut it out – then unfold to show a two faced person. Stick it in the middle of a piece of folded A4 paper [matching the folds, to centre it]

clip_image002clip_image002

Now explain you are going to think about the different things that happened this past year – and put each one in a shape

  • school trips will go into an arrow
  • things I loved into a heart shape
  • things that surprised me into an exclamation mark
  • favourite sports into a ball shape
  • the most brilliant things into a star shape
  • things that worried me into a raincloud shape.

The class will supply all sorts of answers  - then ask them to predict the same things for the coming year. The children can then create their own Janus Chart= looking back, looking forward

clip_image002[8]

I have been fascinated by things that children have put into their charts – one child put ‘Year 6 production’ into a Star – “because it is going to be brilliant to act on the stage, Miss” but another child put it into a cloud “I don’t want to be in front of everybody Miss” [I suggested he ask the teacher for a backstage job – he hadn’t thought of that possibility] The ‘worries’ cloud is a useful tool for identifying possible anxieties ahead; fore-warned is fore-armed.

Trips to see the Richard III exhibition, a symphony orchestra and a walk round the local Park all got into arrows [and The Year 6 Residential” for next year] SATS and ‘getting better grades’ and ‘doing fractions’ filled rainclouds. I was encouraged by the number of children who put Maths into hearts. “I was surprised that I could spell long words” “I was surprised when my baby brother was born” [why? were you hoping for a sister? didn’t you notice Mum’s shape changing?] “I was surprised when we moved house suddenly” [don’t even ask about that one!] “Alton Towers” and “My teacher” were starred as brilliant things. I encouraged the children to use lots of colour and make their charts bright and cheerful – adding  repeat icons as things occurred to them.

NoteStarRed heartFootballStorm cloudNoteStarRed heartFootballStorm cloudNoteStarRed heartFootballStorm cloud

You can expand this in lots of ways – maybe a music note to show their favourite music from the year. For a Sunday School class, I’d add in a cross shape to put ‘something new I have learned about God this year’. The possibilities are endless. Feel free to borrow and adapt for your class – I am not claiming any copyright on this one!!

 

11 comments:

  1. I'm liking this idea but using it for the guides in September when we go back after the summer break
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the fact it is such a versatile lesson plan - maybe your Guides can illustrate merit badges they gained and ones they hope to gain? [do they still call them merit badges?]

      Delete
    2. I was playing with different ideas and funny enough I did put an egg shape for badges. They're now called Interest Badges.
      Carolx

      Delete
  2. Not quite on topic but did you know that there is a "Janus" type carving of Michael Heseltine and Margaret Thatcher in Shrewsbury? It's an illustration of the poll tax and you can see it if you scroll down this.
    http://www.southcotswoldramblers.org.uk/ahols/2013/201309Shrewsbury/day3off.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is fascinating- thank you for this link. Is it really 14 years since the Poll Tax Riots? How time flies!!

      Delete
  3. Think I want to be in year 5, not nearly 60yrs old lol!
    Although in some respects I think children, especially older children don't seem to have much time to actually do the thing I did as a child, (play and be children), these days, I think their education is much better in many other ways, more fun!
    Yes Miss, the Janus chart is a good record and forward planner, every child should do this and maybe have their own folder or book to put each years' chart in, for their record. I expect not many children keep diaries these days, so would not have a record other than their heads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like something we bloggers too could do even if only mentally - it's always good to look back as well as forwards and to see just how many stars we would be able to put on our mental charts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd hope for more hearts and stars than rainclouds. Some of my blogfriends would just have charts full of arrows, as they seem to do nothing but Go On Trips!!

      Delete
  5. That's a really good lesson plan; I can see a lot of applications. Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angela, re- my blog post on Roasted btoad beans, the blob is actually home-made mayonaise, I had just one dessertspoonful left, so put it on my meal. Strange combination perhaps but, then tonight I had a ham salad with cold baked beans on! I love cold baked beans and I do sometimes eat them hot lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant idea Angela, may be using this next week!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!