Thursday 7 April 2011

Good Old Glenda!

This week, Ms Glenda Jackson celebrates her 19th anniversary of becoming MP for Hampstead. She can still be heard, on her feet in the House of Commons – this week challenging the government's NHS reforms. Next month, she will be 75. Nobody can accuse her of drifting quietly into old age

glendajacksonMP

At the age I am now [quite definitely middle-aged] she made a major career move and became a politician.

I remember we heard one of her early speeches in the House broadcast on the radio, and a 12 yr old Liz [who has always had a keen social conscience, and is much politically aware than I am] saying “I like that Glenda Jackson, Mum, she talks sense” and I replied “She’s a great actress too” Liz said “She’s an actress?” and I suddenly realised that I’d totally failed to educate my child about GJ’s amazing skills on stage. [Maybe I felt Liz was a little too young at that age to watch The Music Lovers, Sunday Bloody Sunday, and Women In Love!]

Long before Helen Mirren was QE2, we had Ms Jackson being QE1

hmashm

glendajacksonQE1

Whether or not you agree with GJs politics, you have to admire someone who has worked so hard for so long.

However, I am not sure I can see myself changing career and doing something utterly different for the next nineteen years. But you never know!

5 comments:

  1. I am with you! Mind, if hollywood beckons I may have to reconsider! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever anyone's political views...Miss Glenda certainly 'puts her money where her mouth is'.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fact that there are so many opportunities open to us and that even if we are experiencing limitations now, this does not mean we will not be able to be more active in the future.

    Book review and giveaway now up on my blog - would any of your readers be interested?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for that insight. I have to confess to not knowing about Ms G J being a politician! Good for her. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!