Thursday 28 April 2011

Teddy Bears’ Picnic

We have some children with special needs joining our school next week – and I was asked if I would dress two teddies for them. It was felt that if they had their own teddies to cuddle, they’d be more confident about coming to school – and if the teddies were in uniform, that would help the children to wear their school sweatshirts.

DSCF1387

I was given two bears and two sweatshirts and I made paper patterns.I thought a tracksuit would be a good idea. Found myself reminiscing that I was just five years old myself when my grandmother taught me how to make a trouser pattern for dolls’ clothes! She was one amazing lady.

DSCF1386

I cut out the pieces and sewed them up

DSCF1432

They have quite roomy necklines so that they are easy for the children to dress/undress the bears. I do hope these little bears help to make the children feel welcome, and enjoy their new school.

I have certainly enjoyed making the outfits!

14 comments:

  1. They are absolutely delightful and I'm sure they'll be really cherished :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have turned out so well, I'm sure the children will have great pleasure from them. They will be so busy dressing and undressing them that they won't have time to feel unhappy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look really fantastic! I remember a friend of mine doing somehting similar for her son when the fur of his much loved Panda teddy became so thin he was in daner of splitting if he was cuddled. The friend's son is now almost 22 and Panda is still going strong - if not cuddled anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an excellent idea. I am sure those school uniformed teddies will be much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good idea. The children will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those outfits are adorable, and what a lovely idea. Hope you had a lovely Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Someday YOU are going to be the very best grandma, Angela! Everyone needs a good teddy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The power of teddy bears!
    Our emergency services vehicles carry a supply of teddy bears with them. If they are called to a scene with a child involved,teddies are available for cuddling and comforting.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all the kind comments. Perhaps I should become a Teddy Costumier.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so cute! Such a nice idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is such a kool thing to do!
    I was wondering if you could share the patterns on here? I have a bear that came from my dad before he passed away and I would want to try to make something for my bear, maybe even a cute RCMP uniform like my Dad's.

    ReplyDelete
  12. angel - if you email me, I can let you have details of the patterns

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure I'll e-mail you right away. Thank You!

      Delete
  13. i've been looking for a pattern to help me make clothes for my teddy bear can you help me. from tiffanysonier@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!