Saturday 29 October 2022

Casting Off

 Until recently, I did not know that the phrase "cast off" had so many meanings.

When a sailor says "cast off" he means to release a boat from its moorings and set sail.

It also means to get rid of something unwanted or undesirable - not just old clothes, but also relationships. "She was cast off by her family, who disapproved of her behaviour"

It is a hunting term - to let an animal free to seek its prey [a hawk, or a hound]

And when a printer "casts off" a manuscript, he is estimating how much space will be required for the text.

For me, casting off is first and foremost a knitting term. I enjoy knitting almost as much as sewing. My October contribution to the Postcard Project has been a tiny square of knitting. 
I made it with fine wool on UK 14 [2mm] needles. Then I made some tiny needles using two plastic cocktail sticks with beads on the end.
Now to try and find some inspiration for the November stitching...
UK readers - don't forget to put your clocks back tonight



15 comments:

  1. So sweet! And what a great idea! Have you come across www.buttercupminiatures.co.uk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No - I hadn't seen this site. But it looks wonderful. I need to make some more little bits for the Sylvanian Families...

      Delete
  2. Isn't that adorable!! I love your posts on words!! Didn't realise about the clocks! Excellent!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, that was me! I don't know why my phone won't say I am Kezzie since I AM logged in! Grr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did wonder if it was you but wasn't sure!

      Delete
  4. Live and learn! You're still at good teacher, Ang.
    Love the wee bit of knitting and those tiny knitting needles. :)

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to make cards for newborns with the little piece of knitting. Now I only make cards for people who appreciate them as time is precious to be wasting on the unappreciative. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lovely idea for a newborn card. I make fewer cards these days.

      Delete
  6. What sweet little "knitting needles"! I once made a tiny doll house rug with fine needles and garter stitch, using a fresh length of yarn for each row and leaving tails each end for the fringes. I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute bit of knitting and the needles you made are even cuter! I guess the common theme in all the meanings of the term casting off is releasing or letting go - of a boat, a hunting animal, old clothes or relationships, stitches from a needle, even a life style. It's a very useful phrase. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, a definite sense of release/ let go (But I can't see the song "Let it Go" from Frozen working quite as well if it was "Cast it off"!)

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!