Tuesday 4 October 2022

Autumn Days

...when the grass is jewelled
And the silk inside a chestnut shell
Jet planes meeting in the air to be refuelled
All these things I love so well

Clouds that look like familiar faces
And a winter’s moon with frosted rings
Smell of bacon as I fasten up my laces
And the song the milkman sings.

Whipped-up spray that is rainbow-scattered
And a swallow curving in the sky
Shoes so comfy though they’re worn out and they’re battered
And the taste of apple pie.

Scent of gardens when the rain’s been falling
And a minnow darting down a stream
Picked-up engine that’s been stuttering and stalling
And a win for my home team.

So I mustn’t forget
No, I mustn’t forget
To say a great big thank you
I mustn’t forget.
[by Estelle White 1925-2011]
Did you sing this hymn in school assembly? My 'autumn days' this week have included
A gift of apples, which will make fine chutney
Some shiny conkers in my wooden bowl
A bag of onions to go with the apples
And a basket of chunky green wool
The wool was part of a WIP which my SIL has abandoned, and kindly passed the yarn on to me. Its soft greeny brown hues seem appropriate to October weather. These are the apples she gave me - and I have bought some onions to make a big batch of chutney.
'Amor vincit omnia' said Bob, wittily, as I picked up the conkers on the churchyard. I have no use for them, they are just glossy and brown and lovely to hold.
What autumnal things are you saying thank-you for this week?




14 comments:

  1. I like the items that your Autumn days included; especially those lovely apples and the wool. :)
    No, we didn't sing this hymn at our school assemblies and it is a new song for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very British song, I don't think it made it 'across the Pond'

      Delete
  2. Ah, I need to do that song in Singing Assembly this week. Thanks for the reminder!
    I am saying thank you for tomatoes that are still coming, not having many rehearsals this week, for the large , shiny conker I was given by a sweet year 3 girl (actually had the idea of using conkers with big cardboard staves to mark where B and A go on the stage with my year 3 kids. I have 20 conkers from last year. I need to search for an additional 10 at the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely one for the younger children - they like 'list' songs with repetitive choruses.

      Delete
  3. I confess, I would have a bowl of conkers just to enjoy the glossy colour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of uses for conkers. If you can find some matches or toothpicks, they make wonderful fairy chairs/stools etc. They can also be placed on window ledges to deter spiders (don't ask me how it works, but it does). I usually get my husband to bash a load of conkers with a mallet inside a plastic bag so I can make a double infused horse chestnut oil which is good for strengthening vein walls and helps reduce varicose veins. I add marshmallow and calendula oil to the horse chestnut to make a post-shower moisturising salve by thickening with beeswax. They are high in saponin and used to be used to wash wool on the continent and are now being used again to make homemade laundry detergent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, what a helpful and informative comment. I didn't know about the medicinal uses. I shall check up about the detergent for woollens. Thanks

      Delete
  5. I hadn’t heard the song before either so thanks for sharing. The conkers are good to put on your window ledges to keep away spiders of which we have many at the moment. Hope to see what you knit with that lovely yarn. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgotten the spider deterrent thing. Always useful - we seem to attract quite large ones round here.🕷️🕷️🕸️🕸️🕷️🕷️

      Delete
  6. ;Conkers'?? What are they? That's another term that didn't make it across the pond!
    Lovely lyrics and song. I'd never heard it.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are the fruit (nuts) of the horse chestnut tree. Children thread them on strings to play a game https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conkers

      Delete
  7. This hymn predates "Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens"! As for conkers, we don't have them here but on our trip I saw 2 women gathering grocery bags full and I did some research to see what they might want them for, and I see that there are medicinal uses, but cautions about side-effects for ingesting horse chestnut extract. I'd love to display some in a bowl, they are so richly coloured and glossy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think people use the extract in ointments & massage oils, rather than ingesting it. They are so shiny and beautiful

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!