Saturday 8 October 2022

No Egyptians [Due To The Vikings]

We had Wednesday all planned out. 

  1. Off early to a local farmshop to buy a birthday gift [and have breakfast] 
  2. on to the University for the Visions of Ancient Egypt Exhibition
  3. followed by visiting some newly opened shops at Earlham House [and have coffee]
  4. finally a supermarket shop at Sainsburys on the way home.
The Goat Shed at Honingham are very proud of their new Kids Playground
And the kids [as well as the older goats] really seem to enjoy it. Sadly, none of the goats were climbing when I took my pictures..I bought a selection of locally produced goods [apple juice, marmalade, fudge etc] to make up a Norfolk Hamper to take to a 90th birthday lunch tomorrow.
The Egyptian thing - never quite happened. We got to UEA, picked up a [free] parking permit for the Sainsbury Centre, then I tried to buy two tickets. The girl on reception said "I'm really sorry, but the exhibition is closed for a private viewing. The regular exhibits and sculpture trail are both open" I said we'd done them before, and it was the Egyptian thing we had come to see - could we come back in the afternoon? No it was closed all day "Who is the special visitor? Is it the King or somebody?" I asked. "No it's erm..VI-king, the sponsors. It does say on the website" I said I should have checked, my fault. She said in all the years she has worked there, she's never known a closure like this.  I smiled, meandered round the gift shop and we left...meanwhile a lot of very indignant people were milling round reception getting very cross because they had come from all across East Anglia to see this display. 
I didn't feel they needed to be so loud, and so abusive - it was hardly the fault of the three pleasant young women at the desk. But after we drove away I looked on the website- and I couldn't find anything saying Closed Today...We will try again sometime.
On to the Earlham House Shops. This little parade is in the middle of Norwich's "Golden Triangle" - so named by Estate Agents 40 years ago as our city's equivalent to London's Notting Hill. There are two great charity shops, a wonderful green grocer [also serving food] 
 a fair sized Co-op and more...
Liz had alerted me to HandStand, a new craft & gift shop which has just opened. Lottie, the owner [and artist] was very friendly. There were prints, cards, jewellery, pots, plants...all locally made.
Very attractive stuff, but a little bit more than I'd like to pay. 
I was very taken with a plant, in a plain ceramic pot with a simple leather hanger - until I saw it cost £50. A couple of doors down the street, the Post Office has re-opened. Martin and Beverly, who have run the PO since 1995, retired in August.
Adam has taken over, and there has been a "five-figure revamp"
As well as the Post Office, which offers around 160 different services, he tells me, there are other goods on sale; Books, toys, cards and stationery. [I didn't like to point out that their sign said stationary] Decent quality at very good prices. I treated myself to another Hairy Maclary book. If you have young grandchildren, I can really recommend HM books!
I posted Rosie's parcel. "For security, can I ask what is in this?" said the assistant. "This jumper" I said, showing her a picture. She said she'd like one for herself!
I found a Boden teeshirt for £1 in a CS. We sat in the sunshine and had coffee with pasteis de nata in Dyrrah.
Then Sainsburys and home. The weather turned wet and windy, we were very glad to be inside in the warm.








16 comments:

  1. I thought that goat climbing frame was for human kids at first ... it's very posh!!

    Perhaps the Post Office just has no intention of moving location ... and that's why their sign says stationary. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone is hoping the PO stays in that location!

      Delete
  2. What a splendid day out you had. For people like you and I who are crafters, I baulk at the prices of lots of handmade items if I can make them myself. We now have sellers at out thrift&gift store who are using ethically produced materials (so I’m told) to produce items from which The charity receives 30%. At £63 for an embroidered sweatshirt, sales have been slow. I donate 100% of anything I have upcycled to try and prevent landfill. I know it’s hard for self employed crafters to make a living which is why the prices are high. 3 pubs and a very expensive food shop have closed in the last week in our town as people worry about paying their bills. Happy weekend. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are absolutely right about self employed Crafters- it is not easy to make a living. Almost all the basic materials I use are gifted or thrifted. If someone has to buy new stuff (and 'ethically sourced' costs more) and they add the cost of their hours of labour, then inevitably the finished item will be expensive.



      Delete
    2. I also thought the playground was for children! Took me a bit to realize actual goats. I have a good friend who tried to make it as a crafter. He couldn't charge enough to live, so had to give it up. Most people can't afford to pay the prices needed to support crafters.

      Delete
    3. You need to be incredibly good at selling as well as crafting I think

      Delete
  3. Pity about the exhibition being closed. Our Post Office closed two years ago and it's sorely missed, though we do have an outreach PO in the village hall two afternoons a week. Other than that, it's a car/bus journey to the nearest town. My local recycling shop has started to sell those recycled cotton necklaces - £5 for a small one and £8 for a large one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These necklaces cost a lot more than that!

      Delete
  4. You've reminded me that when I was achild, my other today me that the stationery you write on is spelled with an 'e' like the word 'letter'. I've never forgotten.
    Nice to have a stationAry shop iwth good wares and a post office!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of a playground for goats! They do seem to love to climb. Too bad about the exhibition, especially as there was no information about closure for anyone who did check beforehand. As for the £50 plant and holder, I guess our CAD to £ sterling exchange makes it seem even more exorbitant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it is expensive in anybody's currency

      Delete
  6. St John's Cathedral near to Earlham House is worth a visit and you can get a good lunch or snack in the Narthex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, St John's is lovely. I first visited in 1969 on a school trip and have been back a few times since

      Delete
  7. Sounds like you had a good day out, even if you couldn't visit the exhibition. Maybe you can do that on another day?

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!