Thursday 20 October 2022

Tights, Teeth, And Truss

I needed a few groceries, and Bob was going into Norwich to look round the new Hospice site. So I begged a lift, and he dropped me off at the big Sainsburys. How I loathe and detest all these black and orange plastic decorations for Halloween which are festooned about the place. I hurried along with my trolley and found myself in the Christmas aisle.
I wasn't concentrating properly. I actually stopped and went back to look again. I'd thought the sign was advertising falafels
I did not have a lot of stuff to buy, but I did want a pair of tights [in that shade variously called nude, bamboo, or hazelnut]  They only had them in Maternity sizes, all the other tights were black. The assistant said she was sorry, it was supply issues. "It's been like it all summer, and when we have had a few pairs in, they've sold out immediately" Which is exactly what they told me in Tesco last week. 
I took my bags up to the café, and ordered a coffee in my Stojo mug. The girl at the counter said she had never been asked to do the refillable-cup thing before. I forebore to say "Well, it helps save the planet and it saves me five shillings" as I suspected she would not know what a shilling was!
I had taken some small sewing with me and sat down and stitched away happily. I looked around - the store seemed very quiet, and the few café customers were either OAPs, young mums with buggies, or grans with buggies. Three OAPs arrived at the table next to me - one stayed to mind the bags whilst the others queued for coffee. She asked about my sewing, and told me they had come in on the Community Bus. How often does it run? I asked "I don't know, I am 92" she replied. Her friends returned- and one found the chair too heavy to move into place - so I got up to help. The other found the knee-high table too low for her coffee cup and balanced it on her knees. "This young woman is sewing" said 92 year old [I guess in comparison, I am young, at 67] 
They did not stop long, worried they would miss their bus home.
A couple of months ago, Liz and I nearly had coffee in the café - but Liz declared it to be totally lacking in atmosphere, and we'd strolled up to M&S instead. I knew I'd got an hour to kill, but didn't want to take up a space in that smaller, but much nicer establishment. I sat there and realised the noisy overhead fans [air-con, heating??] made conversation difficult, especially for the hard of hearing. The place was less than 25% full - and once the two Mums with buggies, and the grandparent with her charge, went downstairs in the lift, there were just 26 of us - and I was clearly the youngest!! The decor is soulless and all hard surfaces, it's large with a high ceiling. They could do so much more to make it an inviting place to stop for a coffee.  I was grateful that I could have WhatsApp conversations with Liz and Steph as I stitched.
Then I began to get anxious - we had appointments at 2 and 2.20 at the dentist. It is 45 mins from Cornerstones. I was 25 minutes from home. And I hadn't cleaned and flossed thoroughly. I sent Bob an urgent message. His event had taken longer than planned. But he reached me at 12.35, and we sped home. Just to say, embroidery floss is not as efficient at dental floss, especially when travelling at speed down the A47
We got home, brushed [and flossed] thoroughly. We were in the waiting room by 1.55. Both check-ups went well, but I am getting a replacement for my ancient partial denture which no longer fits properly [left lower jaw] . He fitted one for me at the start of the year [right upper] and I have been saving up for this one ever since. I shall be smiling a lot by December.
We came back via Wymondham Waitrose - having had no food since breakfast - they have a very pleasant café. And they did have tights in store! And Bob found some delicious yellow-stickered fishcakes for our evening meal. But I felt that prices had gone up considerably since I was last in Waitrose. We bought very few other items. 
Home at 5pm, having left at 9.15. Shopping unpacked and put away. 
We had a cuppa and watched the BBC News Channel. 
As I type this, Grant Shapps is Home Secretary and Liz Truss is still PM. By the time you read this, who knows? 

And this 'young' woman is still sewing!





18 comments:

  1. I now put the news on at 1pm these days for a few minutes just to find who is left in the cabinet.... It is a shocking mess at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Shocking mess" is a sadly accurate description.

      Delete
  2. From Isabel Enjoyed reading about your day. I use the little community bus that comes out to our country village once a week. It is an essential for shops, post office, chemists etc. It is also wonderful for us all as friends to travel together,and share a coffee before the bus returns. We also have the nicest drivers you could wish for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is lovely to read Isabel. So useful, both for commodities and company

      Delete
  3. Glad your sewing brought forth comment Angela. I sometimes get out my knitting on dpns and people make comments, especially if I’m using 5 needles, they look amazed and it’s really only knitting a spiral. I’m a Lidl shopper here in Dorset and their prices have risen so heavens knows what Waitrose are like. The Halloween decs are ghastly aren’t they. Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crafting is a great conversation starter

      Delete
  4. The whole political situation is utterly unbelievable!
    That's very true though. 67 IS young to 92!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a busy day! I watched some of the BBC broadcast that is aired here on public TV and it is interesting to see all what is going on! The news over here is mostly about the upcoming mid-term elections.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Larry the cat should be the next PM
    He cannot be any worse….
    What times we live in
    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larry and The Lettuce could form a coalition government....

      Delete
  7. Well-weren’t you correct with your earlier prediction as the current PM is soon to be gone! Glad you managed to buy some tights-it was the same problem with popsox for a while too. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sainsburys had loads of popsox - I dont usually wear them though

      Delete
  8. One of our local stores has both Hallowe'en (garish black and orange, hideous skeletons, etc. and Christmas merchandise at the same time. At least they are not playing carols yet but as soon as October 31 goes by, I suspect they may start! We woke up to the news that Larry the Cat is still the only one stable occupant of the PM's residence. I think things can only improve in Britain, surely there is only a way up now?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, your post is already out of date, Liz has gone ... what a shock and what a bloody mess. Sorry for swearing but it really is getting ridiculous and other countries must think we are shambolic.

    How nice to be called a young woman, it's all in the comparison isn't it at our age. I do like a good supermarket cafe and the first one you went to does not sound good at all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shambolic indeed!! And yes, at our age, it's fun to be considered ",young" sometimes

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!