Sunday 9 October 2022

Small Things, Great Love

When I was tidying up, I found the tiny doll's basket on the bookshelf. Inside were a few scraps of paper. Another of Rosie's "Craft Projects " I thought.
Then I turned them over - four said "Love" and the smallest had a heart drawn on it.
A simple little thing, but it really lifted my spirits. When she next visits I shall ask her about it. These are Rosie's "small things, prepared with great love."
Nobody is sure who first counselled "Do small things with great love"
Certainly Mother Teresa was fond of saying it, and she is credited with it on plaques, teatowels and coffee mugs the world over. But I understand that both our late Queen, and also Martin Luther King used the phrase - and as far back as the end of the 19th Century, St Therese of Lisieux said something very similar [in French, au naturellement]
Whoever coined it first, the principle holds.
I cannot change the whole world, but I can make a tiny difference in my little corner of it, if I work with love and commitment. And so can you. We used to sing a song in Sunday School when I was extremely little...


Jesus bids us shine with a pure, clear light
Like a little candle, burning in the night
In this world is darkness
So we must shine
You in your small corner, and I in mine.
Keep on shining, keep on loving - together we can change things!

22 comments:

  1. Looks like Rosie left you a basket full of love! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely find-a basket full of love. That was my favourite Sunday School song as a child and I am now sitting singing it with gusto! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  3. 🎢🎢."singing with Gusto" makes me think of you making music alongside a frisky little puppy! πŸ•

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually remembered the tune! My fridge is covered with 'love tokens to Nana' - can't bear to chuck any of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have got to organise a system. Only one of the four grandchildren can write at the moment - but in a few year's time I could be drowning in these messages!!

      Delete
    2. When I receive a gift from my little artists, I write the date on the back. They always 'sign' it. Their art is displayed on the fridge until a new supply is given. I then put them all in a folder. At the end of the year, I go through and admire each piece and keep one from each child. If the paper is big enough, it might be used as wrapping, otherwise it goes into the recycle bin. If I didn't have a system, I
      would drown in art work! ~ skye

      Delete
    3. That's a great system, Skye

      Delete
  5. Those lyrics have brought back memories of Sunday School and Sunshine Corner. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you sing " Jesus wants me for a sunbeam" too ?

      Delete
    2. I did and loved that hymn too! Catriona

      Delete
    3. Yes and "Jesus Loves Me", "What a Friend We have in Jesus" ,"Jesus Loves the Little Children" and so many others. As another praise goes - "Oh Happy Day ..."!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the reminder of that song!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mum and Dad ran a Sunday school for a lot of years, all those choruses are so familiar to me.
    Finding the little messages of love must have been lovely. Yes, we can all look for blessings in the small everyday things.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The songs we learn as children stay deep down in our hearts, and often bring back precious memories

      Delete
  8. I remember singing both those and still remember the words after one 70 years! JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yet I struggle to remember what happened yesterday!

      Delete
  9. Lovely little song that was new to me.
    As an adult, I lived far from my parents, so after Mom was widowed, when I visited, I'd write many small notes of love (Happy Day!, Here is a hug! and such) and hide the notes in her coat pockets, between dinner plats, between towels in the cabinet, and all sorts of places where she'd find them by accident. One was even atop a high bookshelf that said 'Finally dusting up here?Q" Mom said she fels so loved and kept evey note, with the added date of when she'd found it and where.
    Rosie
    s love notes are so sweet!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello. Was cleaning out my mum's flat last week and came across a bookmark with a scripture addressed to my brother. It just said "Dear Trigg" which was his nickname. It made me smile so much. It is, like you say, the little things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martha. Yes, the "Little things" can affect us so much. Hope all OK with you πŸ‘❤️πŸ™

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!