Friday 14 October 2022

Of Punches And Paddington

Bob found me a brilliant bargain in a CS recently- a Martha Stewart Punch for £3, which produces beautiful lilies. It punches, and embosses, and there is a ring of 7 holes in the centre. I made a birthday card and a thankyou card. For Ruth's card, I actually stitched the centres in contrasting thread, and also stitched a circle of card with her name. Some flowers went flat onto the card, others were slightly raised with foam stickers, to give a 'dimensional feel' 
I found a square card in my box, but not the envelope - so I made one using my WRMK punch board
which I bought cheaply 2nd hand in Ferndown. It was for someone who was leaving a secretarial job, so the typewriter paper seemed appropriate, and I cut a circle of pink for the label [it was hand delivered]
I had problems with Robin and Gillian's wedding card - I could not find my folder of large dies anywhere. After much hunting**, I gave up and made a card with a star shaped pinwheel on the front, using smaller dies 
**I had a nasty shock when I was on my knees searching the bottom shelf of a deep cupboard. I took out a large box and saw...
The cardboard Queen mask, which Rosie had at the village Jubilee picnic in June. Very Spooky! 

On the subject of Royal Spooks..
I don't want to offend anyone - but honestly, what is it with all these pictures of our late Queen and Paddington which continue to show up on Social Media?
Drawn at the time of the Jubilee, it went viral within days of her death, Is this the bear taking HM to the Pearly Gates? Is he St Peter's little helper? 

Worse still, we drove through a quiet Norfolk village last Sunday and were confronted with a large representation of this image [rather in the manner of those Silent Soldier Silhouettes showing WW1 troops in tin helmets, who lurk in churchyards and on roundabouts]
But on the artwork we saw, Paddington was in his usual cheerful red and blue - and the Queen was painted entirely in a spectral sort of shimmering white. 
Ghostly, and ghastly, imho.





18 comments:

  1. Doing more than one thing makes it a handy punch.
    The shimmering Queen sounds dreadful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a scary sight. I'm glad it was morning sunshine. In twilight it would be horrendous

      Delete
  2. Your cards are super!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cards are beautiful! I need to figure out how to make some envelopes without the benefit of any special device (other than a pair of scissors!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps I should do a tutorial on the blog sometime.

      Delete
  4. I believe some people have even had Her Maj & Paddington tattooed on their bodies as a "tribute" to the Queen!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original artist is rightly upset.https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/real-life/queen-paddington-tattoo-emerges-eleanor-7581001

      Delete
  5. Lovely cards and what a great buy of the punch-we have the men in our lives well trained to spot useful bargains! I’m off to prep some paper for upcycling tins in my craft class next week. We had our jabs yesterday and I’m feeling slightly out of sorts today. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you feel better soon. Upcycling tins is great fun

      Delete
  6. It seems to me that people have got "stuck" on the Paddington thing as the last happy event before H.M. died. Also, many people do not have good taste! JanF

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agree, although the Paddington bear recording with the Queen was humorous and well done, I'm not sure what Her Majesty would have made of this rather twee ( imho I realise) stuff that's doing the rounds on social media at the moment.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a lovely "toy" that Bob found for you and I'm sure you will get a lot more use out of it. The cards both turned out well.
    I haven't seen any dreadful silhouettes of the Queen and Paddington, or the memes, thank goodness. I think it's time to allow her to Rest In Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cards are beautiful, Angela!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!