Friday 28 October 2022

Mat Finish

I find it sad than when Syria is mentioned nowadays, most people think of war and bloodshed. For centuries, the people of Syria have been known for their creativity and craftsmanship. The capital, Damascus, has given its name to a number of items, like
  • Damascene Plums - brought to England by the Romans - but now we call them damsons
  • Damascene Steel - beautifully patterned, strong forged steel prized in swords and knives for over a millennium. 
  • Syrian Silk Weaving from Damascus - aka damask
The local "Silver Social" group were advertising an opportunity to learn about Syrian weaving last Tuesday. I pedalled off to the Village Hall on my bike. It was a little disappointing. The woman just showed us some pictures of Syrian weaving, and said we were going to weave coffee coasters, using the photos as inspiration.
Then we were given a pre-prepared "loom" [string on a square of cardboard] and shown a table of yarns, scissors and needles. There were all colours and thicknesses of wool, and some balls of  "teeshirt yarn" 
I made a teeshirt mat in navy, blue and taupe, then a rainbow rug in 7 shades of DK. But I really do not need any more coasters. They have become carpets in the dolls' house. The afternoon was not what I expected - but I met some interesting people. 
George has been unwell, so the Manchester family haven't come after all [😢😢] But Rosie and Jess have visited Cornerstones this week with their mum and dad. We've enjoyed lots of Grandparent Time! 





10 comments:

  1. Every family with children that I know has had some sort of illness doing the rounds - there's a lot of it about this autumn term

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're definitely right there Sue. I think people have become less diligent about hand washing recently. That cannot help. Having my flu jab tomorrow!

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear George is unwell! I'm sad you didn't get to see him but glad you got to see Rosie et al.
    The Syrian weaving sounds very cool but it's disappointing that you didn't get more of an experience of it first hand.
    I had a lovely time in Suffolk. 2 nights away with 3 days out was great! I loved Bury st Edmunds!xx
    I was

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dodging the sick bug up here. Do NOT want that, thanks very much! Had both boosters last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little anxious at the Ceilidh last Saturday, "strip the willow" involved dancing with a lot of people, mostly strangers. I hoped none of them were Superspreaders. But I seem to have returned from Scotland with no new bugs!!

      Delete
  4. The hotel where my writing group used to meet twice monthly prior to COVID has now been taken over as a place for Syrian refugees. I met a young man last Friday who is working as a voluntary English teacher. It's hard to get your head around having to leave your country because otherwise you and your family will be murdered. On a different note, I thought damsons were created from crossing sloes with bullace plums, I'd not heard about the Roman connection. But then the majority of our herbs were supposed to have been brought over by Roman soldiers or their families and there is some argument that some of them may have been natives beforehand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot imagine what life as a refugee must be like. Yes, I have read theories about many of our herbs having come with the Romans too!

      Delete
  5. I hope wee George soon gets better. It was good that you saw Rosie and Jess. I learned something about Damascus from your blog! The little coasters make good doll house rugs.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!