Monday 31 October 2022

Superwoman, The Sequel

When I got my first flat, in 1977, I bought a copy of Shirley Conran's book. It had come out just a few months earlier, and on the cover it says "Now, for the first time in paperback, the best selling guide to household management for today's woman" I still have this battered old book - which claimed to teach  how to be a working wife and mother, save time and money, and buy the best and cheapest. Jam packed with advice on food, fashion, friends, finance... 
I've just bought this for Steph's birthday present. Sali Hughes is the Guardian's Beauty Editor. I enjoy her articles, and Steph mentioned the book, so I sent off for it. I felt I ought to read it first. My opinion- this is definitely today's equivalent of the Victorian's Mrs Beeton, and my generation's Conran. It is well written, funny, down-to-earth. A good read, and a useful reference book.
I do not agree with all of it - but as p284 says "It's fine to disagree" [my major differences of opinion with Sali include ideas about God, Gary, gravy and Botox] but then I wasn't 100% on board with Ms Conran either.
This one's definitely a ***** I think. Not so much for my age group - but very appropriate for our daughters out at work, with or without young families, struggling to manage in these post-covid, WFH, unpredictable times of recession.




13 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued to know exactly what you didn't agree with!!
    Sounds an interesting book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mostly relatively trivial things - she abhors gravy granules, I find them useful sometimes. She has regular Botox injections, I accept my wrinkles. She's not fond of the name Gary - but my SIL is a great guy. But she says she's an atheist - and that means her view of relationships and ethics differs from mine. I'm waiting to hear what Steph thinks of the book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm an Atheist, but am sure that my views on relationships and ethics are pretty similar to yours.
    Whether or not we 'believe' has nothing to do with how we treat people.
    I also use gravy granules at times! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Col, I didn't mean to imply that atheists aren't ethical. Some of my nearest and dearest do not share my beliefs, but we love and respect each other. However some of Sali's comments suggest that she and I see certain issues differently. Her childhood and life experiences are quite different from my own, and her views therefore are not the same. I guess I'm trying to say that whilst I think it's an excellent book, it needs to be read thoughtfully. It would open too big a can of worms to go into specifics here!

      Delete
  4. 'Life's too short for stuffing mushrooms' was my mantra way back then. I adored Shirley Conran. Wasn't so keen on her second book.Think my daughters-in-law might like that new book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the sample on kindle and found it most interesting. I’ll wait til there’s a kindle deal to read the rest. Shirley Conran first book was of its time and lots of the things she talked about are still with me. Agree about the botox-I have enough trouble when I need dental injections but our dentist will also do botox if required. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, SC was 'of it's time '. I have never come across a dentist who does Botox before.!

      Delete
    2. 😊😎😊

      Delete
  6. Snap! I bought Shirley Conran’s book when I bought a flat on my own in 1977, I moved in during the Silver Jubilee weekend, the mortgage was for 25 years, I joked I would pay it off in time for the Queen’s Golden Jubilee.

    The gods had other ideas, eighteen months later I met my DH, I sold my flat and we bought the first of our three homes. I have Superwoman book still, good advice rarely dates. ðŸĶĒ



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have certainly kept to one bit of advice from SCs book - I have never wasted time stuffing mushrooms

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!