Monday 24 October 2022

PODcast

About 15 years ago, I remember saying to a friend "When you hit 50, bits start dropping off!" I accept that as we age, our bodies may not be as co-operative as they once were. But much in the way of old cars, my annual MOT and service seems to be getting more costly as the years go by. A year ago, I was expecting a big dental bill, so I decided to sell some of my crafts in my Etsy shop. Those little birds flew away and I was so grateful to be able to finance my  dental treatment without dipping into the household budget. This autumn I'm facing the triple whammy of Podiatrist, Optician and Dentist [hence POD] so I am going to try and sell some of my handmade goods again.
This time I am starting local - I plan to have a Pop-Up Christmas Shop in the Carriage House outside. I shall do it towards the end of November, before I set up the Nativity Tableau. [I am still looking for the right little lamb to go with my shepherd boy...]

The Cornerstones Craft Machine is well underway, producing all sort of items. Since I got back from Scotland, I have been cutting in the mornings and stitching in the evenings, I spent Saturday "Stashbusting". Both the regular sewing machine and the overlocker have been in use, and my die cutter, as well as my envelope maker. 

Watch this space...

9 comments:

  1. What a great idea to have a Pop Up Christmas Shop! I hope you are able to make enough money selling your crafts to help fund at least some of your expenses. (I thought medical care in the UK was free of charge, though?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Bless, most medical care is free at the point of need. But dentists are either private or National Health Service. If private , you pay ALL the costs, NHS are subsidised (but children, pregnant mums, and some other groups get free treatment) I had NHS dentists all my life, but there are hardly any in Norfolk, now I have a very good (& not overly expensive) private guy. Podiatrists are the same, and I've had to go private to get my foot sorted. Opticians all private, but certain conditions (eg glaucoma, retina damage) covered by health service . Doctors prescriptions are a fixed charge, around £10 a time.If you do not qualify for free meds , you can buy an annual "season ticket" for about £100. Seniors like me get free meds. I am truly grateful for our system. I would really struggle with the USA system where it is dependent on insurance etc.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for explaining that to me, Angela. :)

      Delete
  2. I am also stashbusting for a sale in November to support Scottish Association of Children with Heart Disorders. A friend’s son died at 17 from a congenital heart disorder and we still support the organisation nearly thirty years later Catriona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done - I hope you raise lots for such a good cause

      Delete
  3. Wow, that's impressive. I've got the same problem, now in my early sixties, dental bill of £200 coming , need to book in with a foot clinic and chiropractor! Ah well, comes to us all.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish you success with your Christmas shop. I'm sure the local people will enjoy browsing and others will find out and make the trip to see what they can find. We don't have dental coverage so we do have some large bills for cleaning and any other more expensive work. Before DH retired and lost coverage, I managed to fit in, over 2 years, the installation of 4 gold crowns on upper and lower molars. We benefit from senior prescription coverage and paying 2 to 4 dollars for items that would cost maybe well over $20, is reason to be thankful. The optometrist is poorly compensated by our province for the annual inspection we get for free. Corrective work, cataract surgery etc is covered, occasionally I have to pay for a photograph of my eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I guess we should be grateful that we HAVE healthcare at all - in many countries the people only have the basics, and often not even that

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!