No eggs, no gluten, no added sugar…The Yes!Yes!Yes! cake is a brilliant birthday or Christmas cake – it suits almost everybody [except those with nut allergies] and cuts into a dozen slices or more. It is incredibly rich – after our first slices, we went in for much smaller pieces.
You need a 9” ‘springform’ cake tin like this
- 200ml oil [almond or sunflower]
- 500ml apple juice
- 300g chopped dates
- 500g mixed raisins and sultanas
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 300g ground almonds
- 1tsp grated nutmeg
- grated zest of 1 orange
- 100g chopped walnuts
- icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 140°C. Pour oil and juice in medium sized saucepan, stir in dates, raisins and sultanas. Bring to boil then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to large mixing bowl, stir in bicarb - it will sizzle furiously! Leave to cool for 10 minutes. Line the tin with baking parchment or a non-stick liner. Fold almonds, nutmeg, zest and walnuts into dried fruit mixture. Pour into the tin.
- Take a large piece of baking parchment which will cover surface of cake and go at least halfway down sides of tin. Cut a circle 1”in diameter from centre of paper, then tie paper firmly in place.
- Bake the cake for 3 hours, testing after 2½ hours with a skewer [through the hole!] When skewer comes out clean, cake is done. Run knife round the edge, and remove collar, leaving cake to cool on the base.
- The following day, the cake will be ready to eat. Dust with icing sugar. It will keep well in a tin for several weeks.