Saturday 26 November 2011

Out Of Africa

A strange request this week – could I possibly run up a few costumes for a local school? I thought they meant for the Nativity Play – but no, this is for multi-cultural education – costumes from around the world. First up they needed some African ones. I was given a length of fabulous printed fabric to use…

DSCF2750

clip_image002

clip_image002

Plus these pictures from the Internet of what was wanted.

The request was 2 boys’ outfits [tunic, trousers, and a pillbox style hat] and two girls’ outfits [long dress, and a turban style head-dress]

DSCF2750

I dug out my set of Pebble Mill At One Patterns [purchased in 1985/6] as I knew these were the right size, and would be a good starting point.

DSCF2745

And I have produced theseDSCF2749

I think they fit the bill nicely. The trousers can be rolled up for shorter boys, and the long dress has elastic in a casing at waist level, so it can be ‘hitched up’ on girls who are not so tall.

I have deliberately made the garments loose fitting, as the younger children put on the dressing up clothes over their school uniforms.

Using the PMO patterns brought back many happy memories- Liz and Steph had jackets, coats, dungarees, skirts and more from this set. I always intended to knit the wonderful cable sweater from the blue pattern, but never got round to it!

8 comments:

  1. Very impressive. I am sure they will be very very pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done!
    PM@O...brings back memories...esp. as a year older tomorrow!

    There's a Christmas Fayre at the Nursing home a few doors away from me next Sat, Dec 3rd, with all the usual stuff and crafts, I'm having a stall there. It's a joint venture for funds for the home and the Estate road fund...you've seen the state of the road LOL!
    Starts at 10.30 am- 'til 12.30pm.

    Sandie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! I did something similar for my kids playgroup many moons ago making african garments, a kimono and one or two other things - I'd forgotten all about them until I read this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing! You're also FAST! Sounds like you have quite a reputation for producing perfect products! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! That's great! And done so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They're great. Well done! I could do with you nearby during Christmas show outfit making season :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The outfits turned out beautifully. What pretty and colorful fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the kind comments. And sorry, Jon - there isn't any African fabric left for bunting!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!