Tuesday 19 June 2012

Snakes Alive!

I did something today I have NEVER DONE BEFORE.

We had a visitor in school who had brought some ‘exotic pets’ to show the youngest children. Here she is with her corn snake – and my colleague [also called Angela] holding him.

DSCF3966DSCF3971

And then I HELD THE SNAKE!!!!

DSCF3967

DSCF3968

A few years ago, on holiday, we visited a wildlife place and I got to touch a snake – but this is the first time ever I have held one. I wasn’t scared, I didn’t drop him, and I feel ridiculously pleased with myself for overcoming my nervousness. Then the whistle blew, for the end of break-time – so I never even got to see the tarantula, because I had to return to my class.

He was so beautiful, in shades of orange and gold, with a darting red tongue. I came home at lunchtime absolutely bubbling with excitement about my latest new experience [Bob has to put up with so much from me sometimes!]

I love the way that however old we get, life can be full of unexpected new challenges.

What have you just done for the first time?

7 comments:

  1. The look on your face makes me happy...you look smitten!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! I KNEW that YOU would be the first person to comment, Jane, and would approve of encouraging the children to care for God's creatures!

      Delete
  2. Love crochet blankets . don't care for snakes, if I ever came across one at Bradgate I would have the vapours.
    Please tell me what to email for the food box

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am told there are snakes in Bradgate Park, but have never encountered one [and would NOT pick it up if I did]

      The food link is here http://www.approvedfood.co.uk/

      Delete
  3. We went to Longleat earlier this year and my Bob got to hold a Very Large snake - he'd never held a snake and was shocked how heavy it was!

    Things I'm about to qualify as a teacher (yay!) - I think that counts as something I've done for the first time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Qualifying as a teacher is a BRILLIANT thing to do. Controlling a class is sometimes like managing a BOXFUL of snakes!!

      Delete
  4. I've held a corn snake too, they seem to be the go-to snake for schools and clubs, I guess they have a good temperament (in addition to not being venemous, obviously!). You look the consummate professional! I'd not be so blasé about a tarantula though...

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!