It is four years since one of the schools I work in did “Wind In the Willows” as their summer production. I made lots of costumes and even dressed little toads for the star performer and the staff involved
They are doing WITW again this summer. But some of the costumes have gone AWOL in the meantime. So I’ve been asked to make a dozen waistcoats, three jackets and a Mole costume[and some ribbon armbands for the dancers]
I went to the market yesterday for camouflage fabric and other bits. Last night I used an old waistcoat to cut a pattern [from strong card] and cut out the pieces. Today I have sew almost non-stop all day
8.30am – twelve waistcoats and linings all cut out
11.30am – shoulder seams done and linings sewn into place
12.30pm – all side seams done, waistcoats completed. Have lunch!
Afternoon project – produce an ‘old fashioned policeman’s jacket’
I found a small black woollen ladies jacket in a charity shop.
I shortened the sleeves and used the cut off bits to make belt loops and epaulettes. I reversed the front fastening to left–over-right, and stitched a strip of Velcro down. I replaced the 5 dull buttons with a row of 5 brass buttons, and 2 more on the pockets, and one on each epaulette. I added a leather belt [charity shop]
They have a helmet in the cupboard at school – so the Constable just needs to find a pair of black trousers and that’s done!
Now to cut out a camouflage jacket for Sergeant Stoat -whilst watching Detective Inspector Barnaby in Midsomer on the TV!