Friday 8 June 2012

Top Rankin’

rankinGreat news! A [real-life] change in employment law means that Scottish writer, Ian Rankin, can bring his [fictional] detective, Rebus, out of retirement, and put him in another novel. I so enjoy this grumpy bloke and his crime-solving skills [accompanied by the long-suffering Siobhan]

You can check out Ian’s website [here] but there he refers you to the recent Telegraph interview.

rebus & siobhanRebus was on TV played initially by John Hannah, but subsequently [and in my view, more successfully] by Ken Stott. I wonder if they will film the next book?

I started reading the books before the TV programmes – but, as with John Thaw/Morse, I now picture the actor when reading them.

A rebus is a device that uses pictures to represent words or parts of words. They are frequently found in children’s puzzle books, and in the Middle Ages, were used as a heraldic device to denote surnames.

rebus

oldham-owldom rebus

This owl+dom was the rebus of Bishop Oldham in the 16th Century.

So I guess that makes my rebus…

angelA

almond2

and my other half would be…

bob

almond

Is there a rebus for your name?

6 comments:

  1. Erm, not one I can think of immediately.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. But then you DO have a particularly spectacular surname, don't you, Jane ?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun! I had never thought of it before but I could do both my first and last name. I don't think I could do it with Anne. Any ideas?

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that one convention with a rebus is that you can have a picture with the initial letter crossed out - so you could perhaps have a man, with a deleted M, or a fan without the F.

      Delete
  4. Doesn't she just? For mine, there is an evident (and probably wrong) one...

    I could work with a photo of a great boxer, then our nearest heavenly body, then part of a foot - that should do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to see Rebus come out of retirement. Haven't seen any of the films, but I do enjoy the books.

    A rebus for my name? I'd need a litigious picture - some kind of judicial scene perhaps.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!