Sunday 12 June 2011

3:16

Recently something woke me up during the night and I automatically glanced at the time on the digital clock by my bed3-16

I still don’t know what disturbed my sleep, but as I tried to doze off again, I thought about the great Bible verse in John’s Gospel

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Then I remembered that my Dad once said “It’s not the only good 3:16 in Scripture you know” and he preached a whole sermon series on some of the others. I confess I cannot remember which ones he chose – and I know he said some were less encouraging than others [eg Genesis!] but here are a few I found **…

This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters. [1 John]

John answered them all, “I baptize you with water. But one who is more powerful than I will come, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. [Luke]

As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. [Matthew]

HSDon’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst? [1 Corinthians]

I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being. [Ephesians]

He appeared in the flesh, was vindicated by the Spirit, was seen by angels, was preached among the nations, was believed on in the world, was taken up in glory. [1 Timothy]

The LORD will roar from Zion and thunder from Jerusalem; the earth and the heavens will tremble. But the LORD will be a refuge for his people, a stronghold for the people of Israel. [Joel – just to include at least one OT reference!]

If you have a boring Sunday afternoon ahead of you, sit down with your Bible and see what other 3:16 gems you can find!

** please note, I did not turn on the bedside light and wake Bob to tell him about it. I looked them up later next day. It was F Scott Fitzgerald who said “In the dark night of the soul, it is always 3 o’clock in the morning”

2 comments:

  1. I wish John 3:17 was as well known as 3:16 -

    For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

    It might change the way a lot of people think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been looking for years for someone who has had the same experience. The only thing is that I've had perhaps 100 of them. I wished I would have counted and written down the experience each time. It started with my failing marriage. I knew if the Lord was not present in our marriage, nothing would save it. One night I heard a voice (I only heard a voice twice) It said to wake my husband up and tell him to look at the clock. I did...I even said "Jesus wants you to look at the clock" It was 3:16. The next day I said that I thought He wanted us to look in the Bible. There was no response. It happened again a voice then the 3:16. This time my husband woke up at least and looked and went back to sleep. I don't know how many times it took but I continued to get the 3:16 wake ups and I would tell him in the morning. Finally he looked it up John 3:16. Nothing happened. All I can say is that it feels the same each time...like I'm being pulled or drawn to wake up and instantly I look at the clock very groggily. I thank God for the sign and go back to sleep. When I knew I had to leave the marriage for my mental and emotional health, I would get The 3:16 wake ups and they were assurance that it was supposed to happen. When I arrived safely in my new home in another state, I had great anxiety and stress. I would get wake ups at 3:16 and they were a bit of comfort to me that everything was going to be ok. One stands out prominately...I was crying and ran to my bed and threw myself down. (there had been a storm and knocked out the electricity earlier and the clock started over at 12:00 and flashed the numbers) by the time I turned over to look at the clock it was flashing 3:16!
    When it was time to file the divorce papers...I hadn't noticed then but later I saw the time stamped on the papers 3:16.
    I got many through those first couple of years that were so hard but then they slowed down as I settled in and didn't get many. But at times of extreme stress I would get it. I had some emotional problems and didn't go to church for a long while. I went to church and that night I got a 3:16(hmmm He must be happy that I returned)
    One day I felt terrible with anxiety and didn't feel I oculd make it to work. I prayed..please help me get through this day tears running down my face. I was late for work and NEVER stopped at this gas station. I pulled in (almost drawn in by a force) I bought a taco and a drink really not knowing why I was doing this. I went to the counter and checked me out and said that will be $3.16. shockingly I paid and got into my car. I couldn't stop thinking if it was real. But I can't deny that I felt wonderful for the rest of the day.
    Here's another and I promise it's the last and THE BEST! I went to confession and confessed that I was having a hard time forgiving my ex- husband. Not longer after that my ex came to visit my daughter. I usually have great anxiety and don't want him in my house. But all those feelings were gone! I asked him to go for a walk and we talked and everything was fine with me. My girls were stunned at this change in me. That night I was woken up to 3:16. I got up and went into my girls and woke them up and said I've forgiven your Dad! We all cried and I said there's no way I could have ever done that without the Lord and He's let me know He's happy with me.
    Well, like I said, I had prayed that the Lord would come into our marriage and my ex would have a conversion. Ironically he did but not till years after our divorce. He is now going to Bible college to be a Christian marriage counselor. That's hard to accept but I know he was being called - it just took him longer than was possible to save our marriage.
    Please tell me if anyone else has this experience!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!