Thursday 7 May 2009

Business before Pleasure

It was the AGM of our ladies group tonight. For the opening devotions, I used something I'd read on Karen's blog recently

1. Wake up!! Decide to have a good day. “Today is the day the Lord hath made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.” Psalms 118:24
2. Dress Up!! The best way to dress up is to put on a smile. A smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks. “The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance; but the Lord looks at the heart.” 1 Samuel 16:7
3. Shut Up!! Say nice things and learn to listen. God gave us two ears and one mouth, so He must have meant for us to do twice as much listening as talking. “He who guards his lips guards his soul.” Proverbs 13:3
4. Stand Up!!…for what you believe in. Stand for something or you will fall for anything. “Let us not be weary in doing good; for at the proper time, we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good...” Galatians 6:9-10
5. Look Up!!…to the Lord. “I can do everything through Christ who strengthens me.” Philippians 4:13
6. Reach Up!!…for something higher. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not unto your own understanding. In all your ways, acknowledge Him, and He will direct your path.”Prov 3:5-6
7. Lift Up!!…your prayers. “Do not worry about anything: instead PRAY ABOUT EVERYTHING.” Philippians 4:6

bbc on the air LP Then Ann conducted the business part of the meeting, after which we had a quiz based on BBC theme tunes, which I'd entitled "My Auntie is 87"

I used this wonderful double LP - which we purchased back in 1982, when the Beeb was 60. Bob had kindly put it onto two CDs for me, and I played a selection of radio & TV theme tunes, and asked folk to name the programmes, and for bonus points give some added facts.

It all went well, and people did manage to connect "The Onedin Line" with Kirk Douglas [the tune was Spartacus - and KD starred in the film of that name] and remember that Dr Finlay lived in Arden House, and Dr Kildare's boss was Dr Gillespie. But only one person recognised the tune for "Monitor" and I think only one got "Juliet Bravo". Nobody could name both of Steptoe's horses [Hercules and Delilah] Everybody got Dixon of Dock Green and Listen With Mother.

People were reminiscing like mad about "The Old Days" - when there were 'decent programmes on TV" and lamenting that there is nothing good to watch/listen to anymore. I did my usual speech about "Get a DAB radio and listen to BBC7" - and Debbie helpfully pointed out that you can get BBC7 through a Freeview box too. There are fabulous programmes there - Dr Finlay, After Henry, Cold Comfort Farm, Hancock, Steptoe, Dick Francis...

Then we stopped for refreshments. The rest of the committee had prepared a delicious buffet supper, with crudites and dips, crisps and crackers, and fruit platters...all in all a most enjoyable evening.

Got home at 10 to find Bob still working hard in the study. I am teaching again tomorrow - so I will have to catch up on reading all my favourite blogs tomorrow night!

4 comments:

  1. Angela, we love the old programmes too. I'm afraid we are the grumpy old ones who moan about today's programmes and mutter 'wasnt like this when I was young....'
    I couldnt wait to get home from school to listen to Children's Hour. Does anyone else remember that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad everything went well at your meeting last night!

    You look so much like a good friend I had in high school. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent devotional! Should copy that out for myself for daily reminders! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful list of advice!

    Sounds like a good meeting. Wish I could have been there!

    frances

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!