Monday 6 July 2009

Unzip A Banana

I sat next to Gillian at Sunday's Church Picnic. She was eating some chopped mango, and it looked delicious. She said she'd bought a bag of them very cheaply on the market - but when she got home, one was so over-ripe and soft she had to bin it immediately. I agreed this often happened with market fruit - and we'd had a similar experience with bananas this week. But I didn't bin mine, instead I had made a banana loaf. This recipe is very quick and easy, and if you put it in the oven first thing on a Sunday morning, it is ready before you leave for church!

 

IDIOT'S BANANA LOAF

1½ oz butter

1½ Trex

4oz caster sugar

1 egg

3 or 4 bananas, peeled, [at any stage of ripeness]

8oz plain flour, sifted with...

2 tsp baking powder

2 oz chopped nuts

  1. Preheat oven to 180'C, line a loaf tin with greaseproof or silicon paper
  2. Whizz first four ingredients in a food processor
  3. Now add bananas and whizz even more
  4. Blend in the flour and baking powder
  5. add the nuts and pulse briefly to combine
  6. Pour this batter into the loaf tin
  7. Cook 50-55 minutes. Cool in tin 10minutes.
  8. Turn out onto wire rack
  9. Store in a tin [but it won't last long!]

Serve sliced - with or without butter

DSCF0024

The first song is another of the crazy little ditties Dad used to sing when I was a child. I thought it was written during Wartime Rationing, but it's actually from the Twenties. He also liked this less familiar one...

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like a good recipe to keep, Angela.
    Bananas arent my favourite but they taste different in a tea bread, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm saving bananas for banana loaf, too! It's my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember you telling us once at Gils Brigade how banana is spelt with a silent z, I think that came from your Dad too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments. Elizabeth, fancy you remembering that in our family, banana is traditionally spelt bzanana. Does this perove that Dad and his offspring are ALL bzananas?

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!