Thursday 28 July 2011

Apple Of My Eye

Is it just me, or do other people enjoy polishing the apples in the fruit bowl so they are all red and shiny and tempting?

DSCF2020

There are so many lovely fruits on sale right now – whether you shop at Sainsbury’s or the market

Morning and evening
Maids heard the goblins cry:
"Come buy our orchard fruits,
Come buy, come buy:
Apples and quinces,
Lemons and oranges,
Plump unpecked cherries-
Melons and raspberries,
Bloom-down-cheeked peaches,
Swart-headed mulberries,
Wild free-born cranberries,
Crab-apples, dewberries,
Pine-apples, blackberries,
Apricots, strawberries--
All ripe together, in summer weather.

from Goblin Market by Christina Rosetti.

Here’s Arthur Rackham’s illustration for her poem

ArthurRackham_GoblinMarket

4 comments:

  1. Hi Angela!
    Oh my, yes! The more they shine the better they taste, isn't that so?
    I haven't heard this poem before... I love her work too!
    Blessings!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, Angela, I do not polish the apples! Cleaning the bathroom and the kitchen floor are more the priority here! I have a little framed Arthur Rackham print that I bought with my university grant money, much to my father's disgust, who gave me a huge lecture on money and how much the thing had cost as a percentage of my term's allowance. I still think/know that it was perfectly affordable, but you can tell I still feel the need to justify! Queen Mab in Kensington Gardens- not at all as sinister as yours! I hope she held on to those apples!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you the shinier the better!!

    Sorry about the "test" post on my blog, no idea what happened to it.

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to comment and Blogger told me that 'someone' was editing the blog so I couldn't comment . What?
    What I was trying to say was that I keep apples in the fridge because I do not like warm apples.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!