Monday 13 June 2011

Thanks For The Memories

You know how I love vintage buttons – well, I’ve just been given a lovely gift – a beautiful Bakelite Box, full of fabulous little treasures…

DSCF1757This, on its own, would thrill me – but this is doubly special because of the ‘provenance’ – it originally belonged to my friend Gladys, who died recently.

This afternoon we will

DSCF1758

be at church sharing in a Thanksgiving Service for her life. She was born in 1918, and lived her long life with enthusiasm to the last.

She was fiercely proud of her family, and loved to talk of them.

Gladys was always immaculate in her appearance – she had been in the ATS during the War and delighted in speaking about her experiences in uniform. I think she must have been one of the smartest girls on parade! One of her special memories was of seeing Bob Hope entertaining the troops – what none of the ordinary service personnel knew at the time was that it was the night before D-Day. Gladys never forgot that special evening – or the young men who never came home again.

Gladys was also the Minute Secretary for our Ladies Group, and only relinquished the task last year, because she was struggling to hear all that was said at the AGM. But she kept our records neatly, carefully and meticulously. And she shared her zest for living, and sense of humour with everyone around her.

In every sense she was one smart little lady. I am so grateful to her family for giving me this little box – I shall treasure it, and the memories that go with it.

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful box, and the story to go with it is marvellous, makes it so much more special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fitting gift for you, Angela. You are so resourceful; a button box to remind you of Gladys again and again!
    She sounds like a real heroine. So many older people really knew how to give their lives away. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, I haven't seen Bakelite since I was a child. I remember light switches, doorknobs and my parent's flour /sugar/tea containers.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Angela for such a lovely tribute to Mum. She would have been thrilled and amused to see her old box of buttons 'on the web'.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!