Friday 2 March 2012

The Day Thou Gavest, Lord, Is Ended

This hymn is always sung at the end of the British WWDOP services.

wwdopUnexpectedly, I had to take assembly this morning in school – I talked about the special days people have celebrated recently- Pancake Day, World Book Day, and now the Women’s World Day of Prayer.

I showed the children the logo and explained that the circle represents the world, and there are four women, kneeling in prayer, facing North, South, East and West.

We had a great service this afternoon at the Chapel. At the end of the service, everyone was given a tissue carnation, and a little card butterfly, to remind them of the women of Malaysia – and to encourage them not to forget the theme ‘Let Justice Prevail’

DSCF3342DSCF3343

This evening I’m off to the Friends’ Meeting House to be the guest preacher there. I’m not going to bore you with the whole sermon- but here are my closing sentences [I have based my talk round the passages in Habakkuk and Luke which are used in the service]

God deals with injustice through His intervention in history,

God deals with injustice through the prayers of his people, and

God deals with injustice through the actions of his people.

A few years back there was a book, and subsequently a film , with the title “Eat, Pray, Love” . My challenge to you tonight is not EAT, PRAY, LOVE – but rather TRUST, PRAY, ACT – and may God’s justice be seen to be prevailing in our world, tonight, and until Jesus comes again. Amen

How have you marked the WWDOP?

1 comment:

  1. Was leading a WWDOP service at a local nursing home!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!