Saturday 17 March 2012

She Did WHAT ?

masterchef 2012 permallooI do not watch Masterchef on TV, so I am not going to make any comments about the actual competition. But I am going to have a little rant about the subsequent news reporting. In particular, today’s Times which has this startling headline…

I had a glass of red and put my soul into it, says winning chef

I read the article by Hilary Rose in detail. HR quizzed Shelina Permalloo about the fact that this was the third time she had applied to be on the show, and what had changed? I discovered that what SP actually said was

I poured myself a glass of red and put my soul into it

I have heard of an olive in your martini, and a slice of lemon in your gin – but soul into your red wine?

ginlemonmartini oliveredwine

And even if that is what the winner said, I think it does not make a decent headline. Where have all the good journalists gone?

9 comments:

  1. I'm having white tonight , you have to give your soul to red.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane - I am just having a cup of tea instead!

      Delete
  2. What I think Selina meant was that she put her soul into the competition. I watched Masterchef from beginning to end and her food was simply celestial (as was the other two finalists').They all deserved to win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the reasons I find t hard to watch is that I cannot bear the fact that usually all the finalists are excellent, and it is dreadful watching them lose!

      Delete
  3. Oh dear. It would take more than a well-placed comma to sort this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm about to put my soul into something along the same lines right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As she is basically an ordinary mortal and not used to the attention I think she can be forgiven for saying something daft when interviewed by a plague of journalists.

    We had her spotted as the winner about four weeks ago. She's the only one who didn't flap and got her food out on time and pretty much perfect when the others (all men) were way behind and panicking.

    But you're right, all the finalists were good and away from the pressure of the show would make excellent chefs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to see a woman win Masterchef for a change and Shelina seems a great lady. Sorry for Tom and Andrew though, to get so far and then lose at the last hurdle.

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Am I the only person in the country who WASN'T watching it then?

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!