Monday 12 March 2012

Starry, Starry Night

It was wonderfully clear last night after church – we came home and stood in the front garden looking at Orion, the Pleiades, Cassiopeia and The Plough – but also we saw Venus and Jupiter. That was astounding! The two planets looking so close to each other [even though we know they aren’t]This is a rare occurrence.

planets march 2012

You can find more information about this on the BBC Website here

I wish I knew more about the night sky, and when I am at Cornerstones  I spend lots of time looking up at the stars and marvelling at their beauty. There is less light pollution in Norfolk – on holiday there I have seen meteor showers and a comet.

In the book of Job it says

God speaks to the sun and it does not shine; he seals off the light of the stars. He alone stretches out the heavens and treads on the waves of the sea.

He is the Maker of the Bear and Orion, the Pleiades and the constellations of the south.

He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted.

I just love the idea that Job stood outside at night and was thrilled by the majesty of the heavens too. What astounds me even more is that the almighty God who created all that also created me, and He knows me by name and He loves me. And if He can direct the planets in their orbits, then He certainly has a plan for my life, and He is going to be with me all the way – I can trust Him and not be afraid. [And I feel genuinely sorry for Richard Dawkins and his friends who see things differently. They are missing so much.]

Having chosen Don McLean's title for my post, here's his song

5 comments:

  1. A wondrous sight the stars in the night sky.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think how much clearer Job's skies were than ours, Ang! He must have seen more than we ever do - I love that sense of connection, though. The boys and I had a good peer at the two planets this evening, and I tried to take some photos - I think they will look like two pinpricks in a piece of black paper but you never know...

    I feel sorry for RD (when I don't feel cross) but I also feel sorry for people who consider themselves obliged to believe in a young universe etc - I think they are also missing out on the wonders of how long God has spent crafting his creation, and how very fiddly the work has been!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post Angela, completely agree with you about Richard Dawkins and many others like him.I think if you dont have faith and trust in God, you have a pretty pointless existence.
    I have also been out tonight looking at the night sky, its amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this video clip Angela! Thanks for the reminder of our wonderful night sky and its Maker! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been watching Venus and Jupiter for a couple of weeks now (on clear evenings). They're so beautiful - the other night Venus was veiled with pink cloud, and looked pale green against the blue evening sky. "When I consider Thy heavens, the work of Thy hands, the moon and the stars which Thou has ordained, what is man, that Thou art mindful of him?" Very humbling and very thrilling to know that the God who made the universe is also ordaining our days.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!